* 23.0.60; org-mode missing from fresh cvs Emacs?
@ 2008-03-27 14:05 Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-03-27 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

I just did a fresh cvs update and ``make'' clean and bootstrap.  Now
Emacs errors on my call in my .emacs to (org-remember-insinuate) and I
can't require org-mode.  Or am I wrong that org is part of Emacs?

I can't find anything to do with org in the lisp/ directory excapt a
ChangeLog entry that, if I read it right, says that all the
org-related files have been put in their own sub-directory, org/ --
but I can't find it.  Has something changed? (I don;t see anything
about it in NEWS.)  Is this something to do wtiht autoloads (which I
know nothing about)?

The ChangeLog entry starts with:

2008-03-22  Carsten Dominik  <dominik@science.uva.nl>

	* org: New directory for Org-mode.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.9)
 of 2008-03-26 on thorne
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
( r e q u i r e SPC ' o r g - m o d e ) C-x C-e q M-x
r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Entering debugger...
Back to top level.

* Re: 23.0.60; org-mode missing from fresh cvs Emacs?
@ 2008-03-27 20:10 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evans Winner; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

> From: Evans Winner <thorne@timbral.net>
> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:05:07 -0600 (MDT)
>
> I just did a fresh cvs update and ``make'' clean and bootstrap.  Now
> Emacs errors on my call in my .emacs to (org-remember-insinuate) and I
> can't require org-mode.  Or am I wrong that org is part of Emacs?

Did you use the -d switch to "cvs up"?  Without it, CVS will not
create new directories, and Org Mode now lives in its own directory.

* Re: 23.0.60; org-mode missing from fresh cvs Emacs?
@ 2008-03-27 22:27   ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-03-27 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

    Did you use the -d switch to "cvs up"?  Without it, CVS
    will not create new directories, and Org Mode now lives
    in its own directory.

I did that, and in fact deleted the whole of emacs/ and
started from a fresh cvs copy this afternoon -- same result.
I am notorious for making stupid mistakes (especially
lately) so it's probably something I did wrong; but I don't
know what yet.  This is the first time of many that building
a fresh Emacs caused me any trouble, so I thought it was
worth reporting.

I do see lisp/org both in my source directory and in
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/ now.  ./configure was run
without any args, which always worked okay in the past.
Then ``make maintainer-clean'' (based on another thread) and
``make bootstrap''.  Any idea what I should look at?

* Re: 23.0.60; org-mode missing from fresh cvs Emacs?
@ 2008-03-27 22:45     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-03-27 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evans Winner; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

Evans Winner wrote:
> I do see lisp/org both in my source directory and in
> /usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/ now.  ./configure was run
> without any args, which always worked okay in the past.
> Then ``make maintainer-clean'' (based on another thread) and
> ``make bootstrap''.  Any idea what I should look at?

subdirs.el perhaps? Does it not get updated by a bootstrap?

* Re: 23.0.60; org-mode missing from fresh cvs Emacs?
@ 2008-03-28  3:37       ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-03-28  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:

    Evans Winner wrote:
    >> I do see lisp/org both in my source directory and in
    >> /usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/ now.  ./configure was
    >> run without any args, which always worked okay in the
    >> past.  Then ``make maintainer-clean'' (based on
    >> another thread) and ``make bootstrap''.  Any idea
    >> what I should look at?

    subdirs.el perhaps? Does it not get updated by a
    bootstrap?

This problem mysteriously went away.  But it might have to
do with a misunderstanding on my part about the multi-tty
feature.  If there is an Emacs running on the X console at
home and I connect with ssh I thought I had to use
`emacsclient' to connect to it.  But if I do `emacs' will
that connect me to the existing session?  Because when I got
home I found a session I thought had died yesterday was
still running.  So, it may be that when I was testing the
new build this afternoon from work I was really connecting
to the old build that had the problem...?  Seems unlikely
that I would have not realized it, but it's all I can think
of.  Anyway, the problem is gone now, and thanks for the
help.