* Documentation for SYNTAX-BEGIN in font-lock-defaults
@ 2008-01-04  0:09 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-01-04  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

In my version of Emacs (info "(elisp) Font Lock Basics") says

      The fifth element, SYNTAX-BEGIN, specifies the value of
      `font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function'.  We recommend setting
      this variable to `nil' and using `syntax-begin-function' instead.

while the doc string for `font-lock-default' says

   If SYNTAX-BEGIN is non-nil, it should be a function with no args
   used to move backwards outside any enclosing syntactic block, for
   syntactic fontification.  Typical values are `beginning-of-line'
   (i.e., the start of the line is known to be outside a syntactic
   block), or `beginning-of-defun' for programming modes or
   `backward-paragraph' for textual modes (i.e., the mode-dependent
   function is known to move outside a syntactic block).  If nil, the
   beginning of the buffer is used as a position outside of a syntactic
   block, in the worst case.

(This maybe changed in CVS, but I am unable to check now.)

* Re: Documentation for SYNTAX-BEGIN in font-lock-defaults
@ 2008-01-04  0:26 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-01-04  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> In my version of Emacs (info "(elisp) Font Lock Basics") says
>
>      The fifth element, SYNTAX-BEGIN, specifies the value of
>      `font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function'.  We recommend setting
>      this variable to `nil' and using `syntax-begin-function' instead.
>
> while the doc string for `font-lock-default' says
>
>   If SYNTAX-BEGIN is non-nil, it should be a function with no args
>   used to move backwards outside any enclosing syntactic block, for
>   syntactic fontification.  Typical values are `beginning-of-line'
>   (i.e., the start of the line is known to be outside a syntactic
>   block), or `beginning-of-defun' for programming modes or
>   `backward-paragraph' for textual modes (i.e., the mode-dependent
>   function is known to move outside a syntactic block).  If nil, the
>   beginning of the buffer is used as a position outside of a syntactic
>   block, in the worst case.
>
> (This maybe changed in CVS, but I am unable to check now.)

Please forget this. Reading a bit more on the Info page reveals that
this also recommends to use syntax-begin-function.