* Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-08  4:46 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-11-08  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Stefan and I plan to begin the Emacs 23.2 pretest in the beginning of
December.  Accordingly, we will be imposing a freeze on new features
(i.e., anything that is not a bugfix) within the next few weeks.  The
target for Emacs 23.2 is March next year; as usual, the actual release
will depend on how pretesting goes.

If you are planning to make any significant changes to the tree, please
let us know ASAP (i.e. now), so that we can plan/comment accordingly.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-08  7:01 ` Giorgos Keramidas
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-11-08  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 23:46:44 -0500, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Stefan and I plan to begin the Emacs 23.2 pretest in the beginning of
> December.  Accordingly, we will be imposing a freeze on new features
> (i.e., anything that is not a bugfix) within the next few weeks.  The
> target for Emacs 23.2 is March next year; as usual, the actual release
> will depend on how pretesting goes.
>
> If you are planning to make any significant changes to the tree, please
> let us know ASAP (i.e. now), so that we can plan/comment accordingly.

Are documentation changes ok during the final release stages?

I think my copyright assignment papers may be ok by then, so I keep
typing a smallish section for `IBuffer' to attach to our current "Buffer
Convenience" node of doc/emacs/buffers.texi.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 195 bytes --]

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-08 11:33 ` Dan Nicolaescu
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-11-08 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Stefan and I plan to begin the Emacs 23.2 pretest in the beginning of
  > December.  Accordingly, we will be imposing a freeze on new features
  > (i.e., anything that is not a bugfix) within the next few weeks.  The
  > target for Emacs 23.2 is March next year; as usual, the actual release
  > will depend on how pretesting goes.
  >
  > If you are planning to make any significant changes to the tree, please
  > let us know ASAP (i.e. now), so that we can plan/comment accordingly.

I have a few more patches that purecopy various things that are not
checked in yet (they just need a ChangeLog).

I would also like to get rid of the platforms that were obsoleted in
etc/NEWS in 23.1.  May I do that ASAP?

Also there are quite a few bugs in the bug tracker that are tagged with
"patch" (and some that are not, but still contain patches).  It would be
nice if some/most of those could be checked in.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-08 14:30   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-11-08 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgos Keramidas; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

> Are documentation changes ok during the final release stages?

Yes, documentation changes can be applied pretty much at any time.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-09 16:31 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-09 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Nov 8, 2009, at 5:46 AM, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Stefan and I plan to begin the Emacs 23.2 pretest in the beginning of
> December.  Accordingly, we will be imposing a freeze on new features
> (i.e., anything that is not a bugfix) within the next few weeks.  The
> target for Emacs 23.2 is March next year; as usual, the actual release
> will depend on how pretesting goes.
>
> If you are planning to make any significant changes to the tree,
> please
> let us know ASAP (i.e. now), so that we can plan/comment accordingly.

I have a major chunk of org-mode changes coming in, by the
end of the week, hopefully.

- Carsten

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-10  7:40 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2009-11-10  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Dave Milter, emacs-devel

Hi, Yidong,

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 11:46:44PM -0500, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Stefan and I plan to begin the Emacs 23.2 pretest in the beginning of
> December.  Accordingly, we will be imposing a freeze on new features
> (i.e., anything that is not a bugfix) within the next few weeks.  The
> target for Emacs 23.2 is March next year; as usual, the actual release
> will depend on how pretesting goes.

> If you are planning to make any significant changes to the tree, please
> let us know ASAP (i.e. now), so that we can plan/comment accordingly.

Yes.  I am enhancing CC Mode's function `c-parse-state' so that it can
handle "brace deserts" (source files with few or no braces) at a
tolerable speed.  Currently, (in a file supplied by Dave Milter, who
reported the bug), scrolling back a screen from EOB takes several
seconds.

This change involves ~1200 new lines of code in cc-engine.el, and is
about "99% complete".  I anticipate commiting it in a few days time,
before the end of the month.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: cc-mode performance (was: Emacs 23.2 plans)
@ 2009-11-10 19:09   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2009-11-10 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> I am enhancing CC Mode's function `c-parse-state' so that it can
> handle "brace deserts" (source files with few or no braces) at a
> tolerable speed.  Currently, (in a file supplied by Dave Milter, who
> reported the bug), scrolling back a screen from EOB takes several
> seconds.

well, I have a whole bunch of speed test files for you: clisp sources.
would you like to take a look?

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-16 19:14 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-16 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Chong Yidong skrev:
> Stefan and I plan to begin the Emacs 23.2 pretest in the beginning of
> December.  Accordingly, we will be imposing a freeze on new features
> (i.e., anything that is not a bugfix) within the next few weeks.  The
> target for Emacs 23.2 is March next year; as usual, the actual release
> will depend on how pretesting goes.
>
> If you are planning to make any significant changes to the tree, please
> let us know ASAP (i.e. now), so that we can plan/comment accordingly.

I have completed the GConf/Xsetting code (after way to long time) now and
would like to check it in.
I don't know if it counts as a major change, but its implications might.

Basically Emacs reads the system font name from GConf and uses that.  It also
reacts to changes to the system font (can be turned off with a defcustom).
GConf support can be turned off in configure.

Emacs also listens for font parameter changes made by the user and
communicated with Xsettings.  These are various Xft-related parameters
(antialias, hinting, hintstyle, RGBA, DPI and lcdfilter) that are settable by
the Gnome user settings program (I imagine KDE has something similar).

The upside is that Emacs integrates better to the Gnome desktop and that we
can control Xft-settings.  After all, if a user changes hinting she probably
wants it for all applications.  As Emacs now uses the DPI value from Xsettings
instead of from the X server, fonst look the same.  This isn't the case now,
Monospace-8 on Emacs and gnome-terminal look quite different.

The downside is that user might be surprised to see the size of their fonts
change as the DPI value is now different.

What do you think?

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-16 19:30   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-11-16 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> I have completed the GConf/Xsetting code (after way to long time) now
> and would like to check it in.  I don't know if it counts as a major
> change, but its implications might.
>
> Basically Emacs reads the system font name from GConf and uses that.
> It also reacts to changes to the system font (can be turned off with a
> defcustom). GConf support can be turned off in configure.

I'm not sure if there's enough time to test this.  Font-related changes
seem pretty tricky to get right.  What about checking this in but
disabling the configure option by default, and enabling it after Emacs
23.2?

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-16 23:04   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-11-16 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

> The upside is that Emacs integrates better to the Gnome desktop and
> that we can control Xft-settings.  After all, if a user changes
> hinting she probably wants it for all applications.  As Emacs now uses
> the DPI value from Xsettings instead of from the X server, fonst look
> the same.  This isn't the case now, Monospace-8 on Emacs and
> gnome-terminal look quite different.

That's a very good change, yes.

> The downside is that user might be surprised to see the size of their fonts
> change as the DPI value is now different.

If it can fix the problem that the default font size is much too large
for all my screens (a 1600x1200 21" desktop, a 1400x1050 14" laptop,
and a 1024x600 10" netbook), then I'm all for it, and I know I wouldn't
be the only user to appreciate the change.  See bug#4547 for example.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17  8:31     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Chong Yidong skrev:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
>> I have completed the GConf/Xsetting code (after way to long time) now
>> and would like to check it in.  I don't know if it counts as a major
>> change, but its implications might.
>>
>> Basically Emacs reads the system font name from GConf and uses that.
>> It also reacts to changes to the system font (can be turned off with a
>> defcustom). GConf support can be turned off in configure.
>
> I'm not sure if there's enough time to test this.  Font-related changes
> seem pretty tricky to get right.  What about checking this in but
> disabling the configure option by default, and enabling it after Emacs
> 23.2?

I've done so.  But IMHO a couple of monthe pre-test is time enough to test it.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17  8:50       ` Tobias C. Rittweiler
From: Tobias C. Rittweiler @ 2009-11-17  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> Chong Yidong skrev:
>> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>>
>>> I have completed the GConf/Xsetting code (after way to long time) now
>>> and would like to check it in.  I don't know if it counts as a major
>>> change, but its implications might.
>>>
>>> Basically Emacs reads the system font name from GConf and uses that.
>>> It also reacts to changes to the system font (can be turned off with a
>>> defcustom). GConf support can be turned off in configure.
>>
>> I'm not sure if there's enough time to test this.  Font-related changes
>> seem pretty tricky to get right.  What about checking this in but
>> disabling the configure option by default, and enabling it after Emacs
>> 23.2?
>
> I've done so.  But IMHO a couple of monthe pre-test is time enough to test it.

I'm interested in the change. How can I test it?

  -T.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17  9:24         ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias C. Rittweiler; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tobias C. Rittweiler skrev:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
>> Chong Yidong skrev:

>>> I'm not sure if there's enough time to test this.  Font-related changes
>>> seem pretty tricky to get right.  What about checking this in but
>>> disabling the configure option by default, and enabling it after Emacs
>>> 23.2?
>> I've done so.  But IMHO a couple of monthe pre-test is time enough to test it.
>
> I'm interested in the change. How can I test it?

Make sure you have gconf development libraries installed (libgconf(2)-dev(el)
or similar package).
Run configure.  Set font-use-system-font to t (it is in the menu Options also).
Use Gnome settings to change the monospaced font.
Also try to change dpi, hinting style and so on (this should work on KDE
also). Emacs frames should be updated at once.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17  9:27     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier skrev:
>> The upside is that Emacs integrates better to the Gnome desktop and
>> that we can control Xft-settings.  After all, if a user changes
>> hinting she probably wants it for all applications.  As Emacs now uses
>> the DPI value from Xsettings instead of from the X server, fonst look
>> the same.  This isn't the case now, Monospace-8 on Emacs and
>> gnome-terminal look quite different.
>
> That's a very good change, yes.
>
>> The downside is that user might be surprised to see the size of their fonts
>> change as the DPI value is now different.
>
> If it can fix the problem that the default font size is much too large
> for all my screens (a 1600x1200 21" desktop, a 1400x1050 14" laptop,
> and a 1024x600 10" netbook), then I'm all for it, and I know I wouldn't
> be the only user to appreciate the change.  See bug#4547 for example.

I will add some comments to that bug. It is confusing that DPI isn't really
the physical DPI, but I think we should just adapt and move on.  Can you try
Emacs now and see if it fixes your problem? It would make a good verification
test.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17  9:38       ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2009-11-17  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>> I'm not sure if there's enough time to test this.  Font-related
>> changes seem pretty tricky to get right.  What about checking this
>> in but disabling the configure option by default, and enabling it
>> after Emacs 23.2?

> I've done so.  But IMHO a couple of monthe pre-test is time enough
> to test it.

It seems that FC_LCD_* used in xftfont.c and xsettings.c are not
defined in /usr/X11/include/fontconfig/fontconfig.h on Mac OS X
10.5.8, which says:

#define FC_MAJOR	2
#define FC_MINOR	4
#define FC_REVISION	2

Perhaps some fallback definitions for FC_LCD_* can be provided
somewhere so that a binary compiled on an older system can use the LCD
features when it runs on a newer one.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17  9:58         ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu skrev:

>>> I'm not sure if there's enough time to test this.  Font-related
>>> changes seem pretty tricky to get right.  What about checking this
>>> in but disabling the configure option by default, and enabling it
>>> after Emacs 23.2?
>
>> I've done so.  But IMHO a couple of monthe pre-test is time enough
>> to test it.
>
> It seems that FC_LCD_* used in xftfont.c and xsettings.c are not
> defined in /usr/X11/include/fontconfig/fontconfig.h on Mac OS X
> 10.5.8, which says:
>
> #define FC_MAJOR	2
> #define FC_MINOR	4
> #define FC_REVISION	2
>
> Perhaps some fallback definitions for FC_LCD_* can be provided
> somewhere so that a binary compiled on an older system can use the LCD
> features when it runs on a newer one.

I added an #ifdef for FC_LCD_FILTER.  If I add fallbacks, the older version
won't work.  It will refuse to add keywords (lcdfilter) it doesn't know about
and return an error.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17 10:24           ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2009-11-17 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>> Perhaps some fallback definitions for FC_LCD_* can be provided
>> somewhere so that a binary compiled on an older system can use the
>> LCD features when it runs on a newer one.
>>

> I added an #ifdef for FC_LCD_FILTER.  If I add fallbacks, the older
> version won't work.  It will refuse to add keywords (lcdfilter) it
> doesn't know about and return an error.

Hmm, that's unfortunate...

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17 11:26           ` Tobias C. Rittweiler
From: Tobias C. Rittweiler @ 2009-11-17 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> Tobias C. Rittweiler skrev:
>> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

>>> I've done so.  But IMHO a couple of monthe pre-test is time enough to test it.
>>
>> I'm interested in the change. How can I test it?
>>

> Make sure you have gconf development libraries installed
> (libgconf(2)-dev(el) or similar package).
> Run configure.  Set font-use-system-font to t (it is in the menu Options also).
> Use Gnome settings to change the monospaced font.
> Also try to change dpi, hinting style and so on (this should work on
> KDE also). Emacs frames should be updated at once.

Trying to compile with

  ./configure --prefix=... --with-x-toolkit=gtk  --with-xpm=n

results in the following build error:

  gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2   -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign   -MMD -MF deps/xsettings.d xsettings.c
  xsettings.c: In function ‘parse_xft_settings’:
  xsettings.c:318: error: ‘FC_LCD_NONE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
  xsettings.c:318: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
  xsettings.c:318: error: for each function it appears in.)
  xsettings.c:320: error: ‘FC_LCD_DEFAULT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
  make[1]: *** [xsettings.o] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/tcr/from-upstream/emacs/src'
  make: *** [src] Error 2

The topmost entry in src/ChangeLog is

  2009-11-17  Jan Djärv  <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>

          * xftfont.c (xftfont_fix_match): Older versions of fontconfig does
          not have FC_LCD_FILTER.  #ifdef it.

This is

  Linux thaleron 2.6.24-25-386 #1 Tue Oct 20 06:50:20 UTC 2009 i686
  GNU/Linux

The version of my libgconf2-dev package is: 2.22.0-ubuntu3
                  libxft/-dev   package is; 2.1.12-2ubuntu5

Anything else of interest?

  -T.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17 11:28             ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu skrev:

>>> Perhaps some fallback definitions for FC_LCD_* can be provided
>>> somewhere so that a binary compiled on an older system can use the
>>> LCD features when it runs on a newer one.
>>>

>> I added an #ifdef for FC_LCD_FILTER.  If I add fallbacks, the older
>> version won't work.  It will refuse to add keywords (lcdfilter) it
>> doesn't know about and return an error.
>
> Hmm, that's unfortunate...

Actually, I think i misread the code.  I'll have another look and add
fallbacks if it will work.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17 13:48             ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias C. Rittweiler; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tobias C. Rittweiler skrev:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
>> Tobias C. Rittweiler skrev:

>>> I'm interested in the change. How can I test it?
>>>
>> Make sure you have gconf development libraries installed
>> (libgconf(2)-dev(el) or similar package).
>> Run configure.  Set font-use-system-font to t (it is in the menu Options also).
>> Use Gnome settings to change the monospaced font.
>> Also try to change dpi, hinting style and so on (this should work on
>> KDE also). Emacs frames should be updated at once.
>
> Trying to compile with
>
>   ./configure --prefix=... --with-x-toolkit=gtk  --with-xpm=n
>
> results in the following build error:
>
>   gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2   -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign   -MMD -MF deps/xsettings.d xsettings.c
>   xsettings.c: In function ‘parse_xft_settings’:
>   xsettings.c:318: error: ‘FC_LCD_NONE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
>   xsettings.c:318: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>   xsettings.c:318: error: for each function it appears in.)
>   xsettings.c:320: error: ‘FC_LCD_DEFAULT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
>   make[1]: *** [xsettings.o] Error 1
>   make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/tcr/from-upstream/emacs/src'
>   make: *** [src] Error 2

Interesting, you have FC_LCD_FILTER but not the others.  Please try again.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17 13:48             ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu skrev:

>>> Perhaps some fallback definitions for FC_LCD_* can be provided
>>> somewhere so that a binary compiled on an older system can use the
>>> LCD features when it runs on a newer one.
>>>

>> I added an #ifdef for FC_LCD_FILTER.  If I add fallbacks, the older
>> version won't work.  It will refuse to add keywords (lcdfilter) it
>> doesn't know about and return an error.
>
> Hmm, that's unfortunate...

I've added fallback defines now.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17 14:37               ` Tobias C. Rittweiler
From: Tobias C. Rittweiler @ 2009-11-17 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> Tobias C. Rittweiler skrev:
> Interesting, you have FC_LCD_FILTER but not the others.  Please try again.
>
> 	Jan D.

I know get

  Dumping under the name emacs
  41620 pure bytes used
  mv -f emacs bootstrap-emacs
  cd ../lisp; make -w compile-first EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs
  make[2]: Entering directory `/src/tcr/from-upstream/emacs/lisp'
  Compiling /home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
  Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el' newer than byte-compiled file
  Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el' newer than byte-compiled file
  Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl.el' newer than byte-compiled file
  Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el' newer than byte-compiled file
  Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/warnings.el' newer than byte-compiled file

  In byte-compile-fdefinition:
  bytecomp.el:1103:38:Warning: reference to free variable
      `advertised-signature-table'

  In byte-compile-from-buffer:
  bytecomp.el:1800:15:Warning: byte-compile-insert-header called with 2
      arguments, but requires 3
  bytecomp.el:1834:15:Warning: byte-compile-fix-header called with 1 argument,
      but requires 3

  In byte-compile-fix-header:
  bytecomp.el:1837:8:Warning: function byte-compile-fix-header used to take 3
      arguments, now takes 1

  In byte-compile-insert-header:
  bytecomp.el:1875:8:Warning: function byte-compile-insert-header used to take 3
      arguments, now takes 2
  Wrote /home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.elc
  Compiling /home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el
  Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el' newer than byte-compiled file
  Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/warnings.el' newer than byte-compiled file

  In toplevel form:
  emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el:185:2:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: advertised-signature-table
  make[2]: *** [/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.elc] Error 1
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/tcr/from-upstream/emacs/lisp'
  make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 2

@ 2009-11-17 19:11                 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias C. Rittweiler; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tobias C. Rittweiler skrev 2009-11-17 15.37:
> Jan Djärv<jan.h.d@swipnet.se>  writes:
>
>> Tobias C. Rittweiler skrev:
>> Interesting, you have FC_LCD_FILTER but not the others.  Please try again.
>>
>> 	Jan D.
>
> I know get
>
>    Dumping under the name emacs
>    41620 pure bytes used
>    mv -f emacs bootstrap-emacs
>    cd ../lisp; make -w compile-first EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs
>    make[2]: Entering directory `/src/tcr/from-upstream/emacs/lisp'
>    Compiling /home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
>    Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el' newer than byte-compiled file
>    Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el' newer than byte-compiled file
>    Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl.el' newer than byte-compiled file
>    Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el' newer than byte-compiled file
>    Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/warnings.el' newer than byte-compiled file
>
>    In byte-compile-fdefinition:
>    bytecomp.el:1103:38:Warning: reference to free variable
>        `advertised-signature-table'
>
>    In byte-compile-from-buffer:
>    bytecomp.el:1800:15:Warning: byte-compile-insert-header called with 2
>        arguments, but requires 3
>    bytecomp.el:1834:15:Warning: byte-compile-fix-header called with 1 argument,
>        but requires 3
>
>    In byte-compile-fix-header:
>    bytecomp.el:1837:8:Warning: function byte-compile-fix-header used to take 3
>        arguments, now takes 1
>
>    In byte-compile-insert-header:
>    bytecomp.el:1875:8:Warning: function byte-compile-insert-header used to take 3
>        arguments, now takes 2
>    Wrote /home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.elc
>    Compiling /home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el
>    Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el' newer than byte-compiled file
>    Source file `/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/warnings.el' newer than byte-compiled file
>
>    In toplevel form:
>    emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el:185:2:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: advertised-signature-table
>    make[2]: *** [/home/tcr/src/from-upstream/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.elc] Error 1
>    make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/tcr/from-upstream/emacs/lisp'
>    make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 2
>    make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/tcr/from-upstream/emacs/src'
>    make: *** [src] Error 2

I don't know about that.  But the advise in these situations are always the
same: make bootstrap :-)

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17 19:18   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-11-17 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> I have completed the GConf/Xsetting code (after way to long time) now and
> would like to check it in.
> I don't know if it counts as a major change, but its implications might.

The configured font is now ignored not matter what.  This is bad.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17 19:42     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab skrev:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
>> I have completed the GConf/Xsetting code (after way to long time) now and
>> would like to check it in.
>> I don't know if it counts as a major change, but its implications might.
>
> The configured font is now ignored not matter what.  This is bad.

Care to share any details? Such as toolkit, desktop environment, font,
configured where (Xdefaults, System font, customize, ...), how to get there
from emacs -Q.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-17 20:20       ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-17 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Jan Djärv skrev:
> Andreas Schwab skrev:
>> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>>
>>> I have completed the GConf/Xsetting code (after way to long time) now
>>> and
>>> would like to check it in.
>>> I don't know if it counts as a major change, but its implications might.
>>
>> The configured font is now ignored not matter what.  This is bad.
>>

> Care to share any details? Such as toolkit, desktop environment, font,
> configured where (Xdefaults, System font, customize, ...), how to get
> there from emacs -Q.

Font-use-system-font wasn't checked in all places, I have fixed that.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-19  3:58       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-11-19  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

> I've done so.  But IMHO a couple of monthe pre-test is time enough to
> test it.

Agreed.  This is not nearly as tricky as font-selection, it's just
tweaking the default font settings.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
@ 2009-11-27 22:33   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2009-11-27 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Dave Milter, emacs-devel

Hi again, Yidong,

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 07:40:22AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Yidong,

> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 11:46:44PM -0500, Chong Yidong wrote:
> > Stefan and I plan to begin the Emacs 23.2 pretest in the beginning of
> > December.  Accordingly, we will be imposing a freeze on new features
> > (i.e., anything that is not a bugfix) within the next few weeks.  The
> > target for Emacs 23.2 is March next year; as usual, the actual release
> > will depend on how pretesting goes.

> > If you are planning to make any significant changes to the tree, please
> > let us know ASAP (i.e. now), so that we can plan/comment accordingly.

> Yes.  I am enhancing CC Mode's function `c-parse-state' so that it can
> handle "brace deserts" (source files with few or no braces) at a
> tolerable speed.  Currently, (in a file supplied by Dave Milter, who
> reported the bug), scrolling back a screen from EOB takes several
> seconds.

> This change involves ~1200 new lines of code in cc-engine.el, and is
> about "99% complete".  I anticipate commiting it in a few days time,
> before the end of the month.

I am still expecting to commit this by the end of the month.  I have
been working intensely on finishing it off, including intensive testing.
Please give me a chance to commit before actually setting the pretest
off.

Thanks!

--

@ 2009-11-27 23:09     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-11-27 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Dave Milter, emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>> This change involves ~1200 new lines of code in cc-engine.el, and is
>> about "99% complete".  I anticipate commiting it in a few days time,
>> before the end of the month.
>
> I am still expecting to commit this by the end of the month.  I have
> been working intensely on finishing it off, including intensive testing.
> Please give me a chance to commit before actually setting the pretest
> off.

OK.