* Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-07-30 20:24 Phillip Susi
From: Phillip Susi @ 2007-07-30 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It would be nice if at some future time emacsclient was actually
interactive, functioning like a new frame on the principal emacs client,
rather than just blocking while you have to tab to the principal emacs
client to edit, then return.  This makes quick editor jobs for things
like crontab -e much more convenient because you do not have to switch
windows/terminals, yet you still have the full functionality of emacs
and access to your other open buffers for purposes of cut/paste and so
forth.

P.S. I don't know if this list munges the reply-to header or not, so
please be sure to CC me in any replies as I am not subscribed.

* Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-07-31  4:35 ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-07-31  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Susi; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

On 7/31/07, Phillip Susi <psusi@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> It would be nice if at some future time emacsclient was actually
> interactive, functioning like a new frame on the principal emacs client,
> rather than just blocking while you have to tab to the principal emacs

Not sure if I understand you correctly... If you want to edit a file
in a new frame other than the primary Emacs frame, you could use the
following syntax:
$ emacsclient -n -e "(find-file-other-frame \"~/_emacs\")"
The stuff between \"...\" could be a command line variable if you set
is as a SHELL alias (or doskey macro).
The above command creates a new frame and opens the file in the new
frame. The command line does not wait till you complete the editing
and closing of the file.

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-07-31  5:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-07-31  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Susi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> It would be nice if at some future time emacsclient was actually
> interactive, functioning like a new frame on the principal emacs client,
> rather than just blocking while you have to tab to the principal emacs
> client to edit, then return.  This makes quick editor jobs for things like
> crontab -e much more convenient because you do not have to switch
> windows/terminals, yet you still have the full functionality of emacs and
> access to your other open buffers for purposes of cut/paste and so forth.

You can customize the `server-window' to be a function that opens a new
frame.  Currently the only suggested one is pop-to-buffer which does the
right thing for me (I have pop-uo-frames set to t).  But we should probably
add more, so suggestions welcome.

* Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-07-31  6:00   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-07-31  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Phillip Susi, emacs-devel

dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 7/31/07, Phillip Susi <psusi@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>> It would be nice if at some future time emacsclient was actually
>> interactive, functioning like a new frame on the principal emacs client,
>> rather than just blocking while you have to tab to the principal emacs
>
> Not sure if I understand you correctly...

Sounds like plain multi-tty.

* Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-07-31 10:11   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-07-31 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-07-31 06:17 +0100, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> It would be nice if at some future time emacsclient was actually
>> interactive, functioning like a new frame on the principal emacs client,
>> rather than just blocking while you have to tab to the principal emacs
>> client to edit, then return.  This makes quick editor jobs for things like
>> crontab -e much more convenient because you do not have to switch
>> windows/terminals, yet you still have the full functionality of emacs and
>> access to your other open buffers for purposes of cut/paste and so forth.
>
> You can customize the `server-window' to be a function that opens a new
> frame.  Currently the only suggested one is pop-to-buffer which does the
> right thing for me (I have pop-uo-frames set to t).  But we should probably
> add more, so suggestions welcome.

switch-to-buffer-other-frame seems work quite well too.

* Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-07-31 13:15     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-07-31 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> switch-to-buffer-other-frame seems work quite well too.

Indeed, I've just added it on the 22 branch, thanks,

* Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-08-01 16:14   ` Phillip Susi
From: Phillip Susi @ 2007-08-01 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yea, I don't want to open a new frame in X, I want the emacsclient to BE
the new frame.  In other words, when I run crontab -e in an xterm I want
to edit the crontab in that xterm, not tab to the emacs window while the
xterm appears, for all intents and purposes, to be hung.

@ 2007-08-01 19:06     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-01 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Phillip Susi <psusi@cfl.rr.com> writes:

Hi Phillip,

> Yea, I don't want to open a new frame in X, I want the emacsclient to
> BE the new frame.  In other words, when I run crontab -e in an xterm I
> want to edit the crontab in that xterm, not tab to the emacs window
> while the xterm appears, for all intents and purposes, to be hung.

That's not possible with emacs 22.1, but the multi-tty branch can do it
which will hopefully be merged into trunk in the near future.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_

* Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-08-02  3:40       ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-08-02  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

On 8/2/07, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> That's not possible with emacs 22.1, but the multi-tty branch can do it
> which will hopefully be merged into trunk in the near future.

I hope this new multi-tty changes would be ported onto MS Windows
too... I would love to have such a feature.

-dky

--

@ 2007-08-02  6:07         ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-08-02  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-devel

dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:

  > Hi,
  >
  > On 8/2/07, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
  > > That's not possible with emacs 22.1, but the multi-tty branch can do it
  > > which will hopefully be merged into trunk in the near future.
  >
  > I hope this new multi-tty changes would be ported onto MS Windows
  > too... I would love to have such a feature.

The multi-tty branch works on MS Windows...

* Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-08-02  7:54         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-08-02  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-devel

dhruva wrote:
> I hope this new multi-tty changes would be ported onto MS Windows
> too... I would love to have such a feature.

You are welcome to try to port them, but MS Windows works very
differently to other systems when it comes to command prompt windows.
There is no such thing as ttys on windows.

* Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
@ 2007-08-02 14:27       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-08-02 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-07-31 14:15 +0100, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> switch-to-buffer-other-frame seems work quite well too.
>
> Indeed, I've just added it on the 22 branch, thanks,
>

>         Stefan

Now if it is open in a new frame the correct thing to do when "C-x #" is
to `delete-frame' instead of `bury-buffer'.

Of course one can use `(add-hook 'server-done-hook 'delete-frame)'. The
problem is when using emacsclient to open a file (that is already being
visited in Emacs), the bury-buffer behavior still happens. And it is
annoying as when you go back to the original frame you might be
surprised it is not the buffer you were working on any more.

HTH,