* frame-title-format default
@ 2007-06-12 23:38 Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-12 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Modern desktop environments seem to have standardized on a format for
frame titles. Perhaps we could change the default for Emacs to fit in
with this.

("%b - " invocation-name) would be the closest match for the standard
format, though it might be useful to leave the system-name in as well.

* Re: frame-title-format default
@ 2007-06-13  6:07 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2007-06-13  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Jason Rumney skrev:
> Modern desktop environments seem to have standardized on a format for
> frame titles. Perhaps we could change the default for Emacs to fit in
> with this.
>
> ("%b - " invocation-name) would be the closest match for the standard
> format, though it might be useful to leave the system-name in as well.

How widespread is that format?  I see OpenOffice and things like
Firefox/Thunderbird uses it and some Gnome programs.  How about KDE, W32 and OSX?

That said, it has always annoyed me that if Emacs only has one frame open, the
title differs from the case where you have several frames open, so I'm for the
change.

	Jan D.

* Re: frame-title-format default
@ 2007-06-13  7:38   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-13  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Jan Djärv wrote:
> How widespread is that format?  I see OpenOffice and things like
> Firefox/Thunderbird uses it and some Gnome programs.  How about KDE,
> W32 and OSX?
Many programs on W32 use the same format, and judging by the screenshots
on kde.org, so do most KDE apps. I can't find many screenshots of
programs that work with documents on OSX, but those screenshots I did
find seem to just use the document name, as Emacs currently does if you
have multiple frames open.

* Re: frame-title-format default
@ 2007-06-15  8:45   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-06-15  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jan Djärv wrote:
> That said, it has always annoyed me that if Emacs only has one frame
> open, the title differs from the case where you have several frames
> open, so I'm for the change.

Me, too.  I've had something similar in my ~/.emacs for years.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: frame-title-format default
@ 2007-06-15  9:51   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2007-06-15  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

On 13 Jun 2007, at 07:07, Jan Djärv wrote:
> How widespread is that format?  I see OpenOffice and things like
> Firefox/Thunderbird uses it and some Gnome programs.  How about
> KDE, W32 and OSX?

OSX: Document name only, unless the application only has one main
window and no documents (such as Address Book).

So it should be either "%b" on that system, and perhaps (!) just
"Emacs" when only one frame is used.