* I would like to investigate including verilog-mode.el in the default distribution
@ 2007-05-18 17:02 Michael McNamara
From: Michael McNamara @ 2007-05-18 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: dann, Wilson Snyder

I have been maintaining verilog-mode.el at http://www.verilog-mode.el
for more than ten years now, and would like to investigate how I could
get the current version included as a part of the next emacs
distribution.  Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> suggested that this is
a good time to propose this as you are beginning a new development round.

Please let me know if this is a good time, and if so what steps I need
to take.

To learn more about the emacs mode, you can visit the website
http://www.verilog.com.  I and Wilson Snyder are the developers of the
mode, and we would be happy to sign (or re-sign) copyright assignment
paperwork.

Note further that while the Verilog language is mature (originally
developed in 1987) it is right now in an active re-development phase (
it is going through a process much like C becoming C++ ), so we will
have further updates as we introduce support for the new syntax.  Hence
we would like to have some mechanism for submitting updates of the mode
as we develop them.  We will continue publishing these on sites like
www.verilog.com as per our usual procedure; but would also like to
update your distribution as well.

Michael McNamara
mac@verilog.com

[-- Attachment #2: adding verilog-mode.el to emacs? --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1683 bytes --]

From: Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>
To: mac@verilog.com
Subject: adding verilog-mode.el to emacs?
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 09:18:52 -0700

Hi!

I am not sure if you are aware, but Emacs is now open for new
development.

Please correct me if I am worong, AFAIK you wanted at some point to
have verilog-mode.el added to emacs, now would be a good moment to do
that.
verilog-mode is an excellent package, and it would be nice if users
would get it by default in future versions of emacs without having to
install it...

I believe you have signed copyright assignment papers, so probably
just posting a message to emacs-devel@gnu.org stating that you'd like
to have verilog-mode in emacs should be enough.

Please let me know if I can be of any help in this matter.

Thanks
        --dan

* Re: I would like to investigate including verilog-mode.el in the default distribution
@ 2007-05-23 15:24 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-05-23 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mac; +Cc: Wilson Snyder, emacs-devel

Michael McNamara <mac@brushroad.com> writes:

  > I have been maintaining verilog-mode.el at http://www.verilog-mode.el
  > for more than ten years now, and would like to investigate how I could
  > get the current version included as a part of the next emacs
  > distribution.  Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> suggested that this
  > is a good time to propose this as you are beginning a new development
  > round.
  >
  > Please let me know if this is a good time, and if so what steps I need
  > to take.
  >
  > To learn more about the emacs mode, you can visit the website
  > http://www.verilog.com.  I and Wilson Snyder are the developers of the
  > mode, and we would be happy to sign (or re-sign) copyright assignment
  > paperwork.

Can someone with access to the copyright list please check the
copyright status for Michael McNamara and Wilson Snyder for
verilog-mode.el?

  > Note further that while the Verilog language is mature (originally
  > developed in 1987) it is right now in an active re-development phase (
  > it is going through a process much like C becoming C++ ), so we will
  > have further updates as we introduce support for the new syntax.
  > Hence we would like to have some mechanism for submitting updates of
  > the mode as we develop them.  We will continue publishing these on
  > sites like www.verilog.com as per our usual procedure; but would also
  > like to update your distribution as well.
  >
  > Michael McNamara
  > mac@verilog.com

I am not sure what is the mechanism for you to get commit access to
the Emacs CVS, but until you get that, I can volunteer to check in
your verilog-mode changes in a timely manner.

@ 2007-05-23 17:01   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-05-23 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Wilson Snyder, emacs-devel, mac

> Can someone with access to the copyright list please check the
> copyright status for Michael McNamara and Wilson Snyder for
> verilog-mode.el?

The only thing we have for Michael McNamara is

   EMACS   Michael T. McNamara     1991-05-28
   Disclaims changes to date.

and for Wilson Snyder

   EMACS   Wilson Snyder   1998-01-19
   Disclaims changes.
   wsnyder@world.std.com

since they are both limited to Emacs, they do not apply to verilog-mode.el
since it isn't part of Emacs.

> I am not sure what is the mechanism for you to get commit access to
> the Emacs CVS,

Create a savannah.gnu.org account online, and then (still online) request
membership in the `emacs' group.  Then Richard will decide whether or not to
grant it.  But in order to get access, people normally need to at least sign
a copyright assignment for past&future changes to Emacs.

* Re: I would like to investigate including verilog-mode.el in the default distribution
@ 2007-05-23 23:46   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-05-23 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: wsnyder, emacs-devel, mac

I already sent them the papers to sign for this.

* Re: I would like to investigate including verilog-mode.el in the default distribution
@ 2007-05-24 22:32     ` Michael McNamara
From: Michael McNamara @ 2007-05-24 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel, wsnyder

Richard Stallman wrote:
> I already sent them the papers to sign for this.

And we will sign.  I am traveling in Europe this week but will take care
of this next week.