csant wrote: > Ideally, I'd like the client to inherit by default any `forced' flags > set to the server, i.e. to start by default with -t when the server was > deliberately started -nw in an environment that does have $DISPLAY set. > This could be overwritten in the client with -d . I can see your point, although I would personally find this behaviour a little surprising. For you, constantly typing "-t" clearly is a hassle. A simple solution would be to implement an EMACSCLIENT_OPTIONS environment variable, the value of which would be added to the emacsclient command line automatically. You would then be able to set it to "-t", and get what you want. "Old-school" emacsclient users would set it to "-c". EMACSCLIENT_OPTIONS would make the "--alternate-editor" option usable without a wrapper script as well. -- Karoly