Stefan Monnier wrote: > For the sake of transparent backward compatibility, I'd make --current-frame > the default, and use -nw as an argument to force the use of the new > multi-tty feature. This way you only get the new feature when you ask > for it. I normally prefer using an X11 frame over a tty frame, so I'd only > want to use -nw in those cases where it matters (typically when the > bandwidth is limited). You assume that emacsclient now opens a tty frame even if X is available. That's not the case. Emacsclient works like Emacs: it prefers X, and falls back to the tty only if X is unavailable or the user forces opening a tty frame by supplying "-t" (the emacsclient equivalent to "-nw"). $ emacsclient ==> X frame $ emacsclient -t ==> tty frame $ emacsclient -c ==> no new frame I agree that "-t" should be renamed "-nw"; in fact this idea is even in the README file. However, multi-character short options are a pain to implement. I'd prefer if someone with more getopt experience would do it instead. :-) -- Karoly