* the problem about libungif....
@ 2007-05-16  0:24 ArYiX
From: ArYiX @ 2007-05-16  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, i'm user of emacs, but not libungif, and i not see anyone using
that, everyone uses giflib, this is a patent problem? if is not, we can
fix them on one line.

tia

--ArYiX

* Re: the problem about libungif....
@ 2007-06-12  8:18 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-12  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ArYiX

ArYiX wrote:

> Hello, i'm user of emacs, but not libungif, and i not see anyone using
> that, everyone uses giflib, this is a patent problem?

The CVS trunk can now use either libungif or libgif.

At present, libungif is used if both are present. I think this should
be changed, since it seems libgif is replacing libungif (though I
expect compatibility links will be around for a while). Eg on a RHEL5
system, libungif.so needs libgif.so, so emacs ends up being linked
against both libraries.

* Re: the problem about libungif....
@ 2007-06-20  7:57   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-20  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

> At present, libungif is used if both are present. I think this should
> be changed, since it seems libgif is replacing libungif (though I
> expect compatibility links will be around for a while). Eg on a RHEL5
> system, libungif.so needs libgif.so, so emacs ends up being linked
> against both libraries.

In the absence of comments, I changed configure to prefer libgif over
libungif.