* MENU to choose the font
@ 2007-03-21 11:05 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-21 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

Why it is not chosen another system to change the font using the mouse?

In this moment (default) to change the font I press SHIFT+[left mouse button] , then choose a font.

In general I receive the message << mouse-set-font: Font not found [2 times] >>. That is because there is no rule to select the fonts from the default list.

Why it is not assigned to SHIFT + LEFT-MOUSE-BUTTON a menu to choose:
- font color
- background color
- a list of fonts (and to dresse this list detecting at least whether the fonts are instlled in the system).

What do you say about this proposal. If the assoc list (buffer-name, color) cannot be implemented, maybe this solution would work better?

Alin Soare.

* Re: MENU to choose the font
@ 2007-03-21 11:46 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-03-21 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> Why it is not chosen another system to change the font using the mouse?

Because nobody has contributed the code to do so.

* Re: MENU to choose the font
@ 2007-03-21 12:02   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-03-21 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: alinsoar, Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

Kim F. Storm wrote:
> A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:
>

>> Why it is not chosen another system to change the font using the mouse?
>>

> Because nobody has contributed the code to do so.

I did some time ago, but rms wanted more wide ranging changes that I
didn't have time to do.
When I wrote it, the GTK patches were still being maintained externally,
so I used external programs to launch the font dialog, but it is
probably better to use the GTK font dialog directly from Emacs in GTK
builds.

The code I wrote is at http://emacs.jasonrumney.net/

* Re: MENU to choose the font
@ 2007-03-21 13:19     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2007-03-21 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: alinsoar, Emacs Dev [emacs-devel], Kim F. Storm

Jason Rumney skrev:
> Kim F. Storm wrote:
>> A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:
>>

>>> Why it is not chosen another system to change the font using the mouse?
>>>

>> Because nobody has contributed the code to do so.
>>

> I did some time ago, but rms wanted more wide ranging changes that I
> didn't have time to do.
> When I wrote it, the GTK patches were still being maintained externally,
> so I used external programs to launch the font dialog, but it is
> probably better to use the GTK font dialog directly from Emacs in GTK
> builds.
>
> The code I wrote is at http://emacs.jasonrumney.net/

The problem with the GTK font dialog is that there doesn't seem to be any way
to exclude antialiased fonts.  So we must wait until we get Xft in Emacs, i.e.
after the release.

	Jan D.