Hi all, I'm maintaining Emacs Voice Recognition mode, a module which connects emacs to Dragon Naturallyspeaking and enables dictation and editing by voice in emacs buffers. Now I'm trying to figure out why it's broken on recent versions of emacs. The emacs code sends buffer info over a network stream to naturallyspeaking. This is opened with open-network-stream and then stuff is sent with process-send-string. The problem appears to be that with irregular intervals, emacs decides to insert a character 194 into the stream, which wreaks havoc with the comm protocol. It often shows up in the middle of a send, ie I try to send integer 172 in network format as chars 0 0 0 172, and what I get at the other end is 0 0 0 194 172. I tried setting the coding system explicitly to no-conversion, thinking that it might be the problem, but it did not help. I'm sure there are experts here that can tell me why this might be happening, because at this point I'm stumped. I'm positive this was not a problem in emacs 20, but it now happens very frequently in 23.0. Regards, /Patrik J.