* Splash screen and gnuserv
@ 2006-09-11 22:36 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-09-11 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think there is a problem with the splash screen and gnuclient/server.
I do not know if this problem exists with emacsclient/server, but it
would be good if someone tested. Below is a description from a message
in help-emacs-windows. I believe this is enough to describe the problem.
I have tested this with

   In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)

Here is a copy of the message:
Denny Wright (dennyw) wrote:
> Hi Lennart,
>
> Thanks for your response. I've trimmed down my .emacs/.viper files to
> the minimim that I think I need to get viper working. So they look like:
>
> ~/.emacs:
> ;; load viper
> (setq viper-mode t)
> (require 'viper)
>
> ~/.viper:
> (setq viper-inhibit-startup-message 't)
> (setq viper-expert-level '5)
>

> For example, I open a .txt file (bound to gnuclientw) from the Desktop,
> Emacs comes up, shows the EmacsW32 splash page, and then the .txt file.
> The status bar shows (V). I try the 'j' & 'k' movement keys and it
> inserts characters. The odd thing now, is that I'm trying this as I type
> this email in Outlook, so I'm switching back and forth and reopening the
> file. In one test, I opened the file, switched to Outlook, switched back
> and it worked?!? It seems like there was a delay in processing/entering
> viper-mode. That may be why C-z or M-x viper-mode doesn't fix it
> immediately and it seems like playing around with M-x does. I'm guessing
> that whatever is causing the delay finally completes (5-10 seconds or
> so).
> Here is the *Messages* buffer after it starts working correctly.
>
> (C:\Program Files\Emacs\emacs\bin\emacs.exe --load=C:/Program
> Files/Emacs/EmacsW32/bin/gnuservauto.el)
> Adding c:/Program Files/Emacs/EmacsW32/lisp/ to load-path
> For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p. [4
> times]
> forward-sentence: End of buffer
> For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
> Auto-saving...done
>
> My first thought was gnuserv or viper mode, but I get the two "GNU
> Project" messages while its still inserting characters. Is there some
> other background process that's running?
>
> Thanks
> Denny

Hi Denny,

Thanks for testing. I can reproduce the error here now. I will try to
look into it.

It seems like this has something to do with the splash screen. If I turn
off the splash screen the problem disappears.

To turn off it do

   M-x customize-option RET
   Customize variable: inhibit-splash-screen

and then set inhibit-splash-screen to "on" and save the value.

Does the problem disappear for you if you do this?

* Re: Splash screen and gnuserv
@ 2006-09-13  3:12 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-09-13  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> I think there is a problem with the splash screen and
> gnuclient/server. I do not know if this problem exists with
> emacsclient/server, but it would be good if someone tested. Below is a
> description from a message in help-emacs-windows. I believe this is
> enough to describe the problem. I have tested this with
>
>   In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)

I can't reproduce this on GNU Emacs 22.0.50.14 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 2.8.20).  I guess this is Windows-only.

@ 2006-09-13  6:26   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-09-13  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Chong Yidong wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>

>> I think there is a problem with the splash screen and
>> gnuclient/server. I do not know if this problem exists with
>> emacsclient/server, but it would be good if someone tested. Below is a
>> description from a message in help-emacs-windows. I believe this is
>> enough to describe the problem. I have tested this with
>>
>>   In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)
>>

> I can't reproduce this on GNU Emacs 22.0.50.14 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> GTK+ Version 2.8.20).  I guess this is Windows-only.

Thanks. Does that mean that there is something in emacsserver that turns
off the splash screen?

@ 2006-09-13  7:15     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2006-09-13  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Thanks. Does that mean that there is something in emacsserver that
> turns off the splash screen?

Was that what the problem was? It was not clear from the mail you
forwarded, but I thought the problem being reported was that
viper-mode came up in insert mode.

* Re: Splash screen and gnuserv
@ 2006-09-13  7:25       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-09-13  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs Devel

Jason Rumney wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>

>> Thanks. Does that mean that there is something in emacsserver that
>> turns off the splash screen?
>>

> Was that what the problem was? It was not clear from the mail you
> forwarded, but I thought the problem being reported was that
> viper-mode came up in insert mode.

Nearly, but not quite. If the splash screen is active when gnuserv
recieves the command to open a new file then something strange happens.
The new file is shown, but the mode line shows the brackets (like
[(Emacs-Lisp hs)] for recursive editing. There is a 'V' on the modeline
so Viper should be in vi mode.

However when any key is typed it is inserted in the buffer instead of
executed by viper. When the splash screen finishes the brackets
disappears and now everything works as expected. A workaround for this
problem is to turn off the splash screen.

So maybe this should be tested again with emacsserver? Sorry for not
beeing clear enough before.

* Re: Splash screen and gnuserv
@ 2006-09-13  9:09         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2006-09-13  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs Devel

> Nearly, but not quite. If the splash screen is active when gnuserv
> recieves the command to open a new file then something strange
> happens. The new file is shown, but the mode line shows the brackets
> (like [(Emacs-Lisp hs)] for recursive editing. There is a 'V' on the
> modeline so Viper should be in vi mode.
Have you tested it by starting Emacs, then after the splash screen comes
up using gnuclient? Or are you only testing the case when gnuclient
invokes Emacs because gnuserv was not running? The latter case will not
be reproducable with emacsclient, since it does not start Emacs in that
case. I wonder if the problem is only occuring when the gnuclient
command comes during init BEFORE the splash screen is shown, which will
be difficult to reproduce with emacsclient.

* Re: Splash screen and gnuserv
@ 2006-09-13 10:01 LENNART BORGMAN
From: LENNART BORGMAN @ 2006-09-13 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs Devel

From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:09 am
Subject: Re: Splash screen and gnuserv

> > Nearly, but not quite. If the splash screen is active when
> gnuserv
> > recieves the command to open a new file then something strange
> > happens. The new file is shown, but the mode line shows the
> brackets
> > (like [(Emacs-Lisp hs)] for recursive editing. There is a 'V' on
> the
> > modeline so Viper should be in vi mode.

> Have you tested it by starting Emacs, then after the splash screen
> comes
> up using gnuclient? Or are you only testing the case when
> gnuclient
> invokes Emacs because gnuserv was not running? The latter case
> will not
> be reproducable with emacsclient, since it does not start Emacs in
> that
> case. I wonder if the problem is only occuring when the gnuclient
> command comes during init BEFORE the splash screen is shown, which
> will
> be difficult to reproduce with emacsclient.

I started Emacs first (but using gnuclient for this too without any file parameter) and called gnuclient (again but now with a file parameter) when Emacs shows the splash screen.