* How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-18 15:20 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-18 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g and
M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus, but I found
nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19  4:35 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-19  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g and
    M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus, but I found
    nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)

Since the buffer fills asynchronously, C-g won't stop it.
Killing the buffer should do so.  Does that work?

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19  7:40   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-19  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g and
>     M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus, but I found
>     nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)
>
> Since the buffer fills asynchronously, C-g won't stop it.
> Killing the buffer should do so.  Does that work?

It does, but suppose you want the information that is already there?
That could be the case for `grep-find' for example. Why not bind C-g to
something like this in those buffers (or globally)?

(defun keyboard-process-quit()
  "Delete buffer process if there is one or signal a `quit' condition."
  (interactive)
  (if (get-buffer-process (current-buffer))
      (delete-process (current-buffer))
    (keyboard-quit)))

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19  7:45     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-19  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>>     How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g
>> and     M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus,
>> but I found     nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)
>>
>> Since the buffer fills asynchronously, C-g won't stop it.
>> Killing the buffer should do so.  Does that work?
>>

> It does, but suppose you want the information that is already there?
> That could be the case for `grep-find' for example. Why not bind C-g
> to something like this in those buffers (or globally)?
>
> (defun keyboard-process-quit()
>  "Delete buffer process if there is one or signal a `quit' condition."
>  (interactive)
>  (if (get-buffer-process (current-buffer))
>      (delete-process (current-buffer))
>    (keyboard-quit)))

Because C-g is used to abort a lot of actions, like searching,
incomplete key sequences and so on.  When we are doing M-!, Emacs
stays busy and so C-g is an unambiguous way of stopping a program.
But in comint buffers, I'd want something more explicit like C-c C-c
(incidentally, isn't that the way to kill already?).

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19  8:09       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-19  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

David Kastrup wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>

>> Richard Stallman wrote:
>>
>>>     How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g
>>> and     M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus,
>>> but I found     nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)
>>>
>>> Since the buffer fills asynchronously, C-g won't stop it.
>>> Killing the buffer should do so.  Does that work?
>>>

>> It does, but suppose you want the information that is already there?
>> That could be the case for `grep-find' for example. Why not bind C-g
>> to something like this in those buffers (or globally)?
>>
>> (defun keyboard-process-quit()
>>  "Delete buffer process if there is one or signal a `quit' condition."
>>  (interactive)
>>  (if (get-buffer-process (current-buffer))
>>      (delete-process (current-buffer))
>>    (keyboard-quit)))
>>

> Because C-g is used to abort a lot of actions, like searching,
> incomplete key sequences and so on.  When we are doing M-!, Emacs
> stays busy and so C-g is an unambiguous way of stopping a program.
> But in comint buffers, I'd want something more explicit like C-c C-c
> (incidentally, isn't that the way to kill already?).

In the *grep* buffer C-c C-c runs `compile-goto-error'.

I would like it very simple and always beeing able to use C-g for
stopping seems desireable to me. How about asking before deleting the
process? Something like this:

  (defun keyboard-process-quit()
    "Delete buffer process if there is one or signal a `quit' condition."
    (interactive)
    (let* ((buf-proc (get-buffer-process (current-buffer)))
           (del-proc
            (when buf-proc
              (y-or-n-p
               (format "Delete process %s in current buffer? " buf-proc)))))
      (if del-proc
          (progn
            (delete-process (current-buffer))
            (goto-char (point-max)))
        (keyboard-quit))))

BTW, how do you see if a process is asynchronous?

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19  8:28         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-19  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> BTW, how do you see if a process is asynchronous?

Emacs couldn't update the window otherwise.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19  8:36           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

David Kastrup wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>

>> BTW, how do you see if a process is asynchronous?
>>

> Emacs couldn't update the window otherwise.

Yes, but how do you know that the process is async from elisp? Or is
that maybe just a stupid question .... ;-)

I was just thinking about stopping sync processes. Could that be done
with C-g (maybe rewritten)?

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19  8:44 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2006-08-19  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g and
> M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus, but I found
> nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)

The standard binding is C-c C-k (kill-find).

Andreas.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19  8:49             ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-19  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>>

>>> BTW, how do you see if a process is asynchronous?
>>>

>> Emacs couldn't update the window otherwise.
>>
> Yes, but how do you know that the process is async from elisp? Or is
> that maybe just a stupid question .... ;-)

Because of the way is was started.  call-process starts synchronous
processes (with the exception of a 0 argument for BUFFER, in which
case the process is detached), start-process starts asynchronous
processes.

> I was just thinking about stopping sync processes. Could that be done
> with C-g (maybe rewritten)?

The doc string for start-process already states

    If BUFFER is 0, `call-process' returns immediately with value nil.
    Otherwise it waits for PROGRAM to terminate and returns a numeric
    exit status or a signal description string.  If you quit, the
    process is killed with SIGINT, or SIGKILL if you quit again.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19 10:33   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-19 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>

>> How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g and
>> M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus, but I found
>> nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)
>>

> The standard binding is C-c C-k (kill-find).

Thanks Andreas, I did not know that. Actually I found now that the
corresponding command kill-compilation is in the menus if you run
grep-find. However kill-find is not in the menus.

However I still believe it should be more simple to stop the process.
(For a suggestion about how see my other messages on this subject.)

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19 10:40               ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-19 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

David Kastrup wrote:
>> I was just thinking about stopping sync processes. Could that be done
>> with C-g (maybe rewritten)?
>>

> The doc string for start-process already states
>
>     If BUFFER is 0, `call-process' returns immediately with value nil.
>     Otherwise it waits for PROGRAM to terminate and returns a numeric
>     exit status or a signal description string.  If you quit, the
>     process is killed with SIGINT, or SIGKILL if you quit again.

Thanks David. (You mean the doc string for call-process of course.)

It is BTW a bit hard to understand what "if you quit" means here, but it
is described in "(elisp) Synchronous Processes" I see now. Maybe the doc
string needs a bit more explanation?

 From this info node:

   While Emacs waits for the synchronous subprocess to terminate, the
   user can quit by typing `C-g'.

Why not have this behaviour for async processes too then? Ambigouties
can perhaps be removed by that little question I added to my suggestion
in another message.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19 10:47                 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-19 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> It is BTW a bit hard to understand what "if you quit" means here,
> but it is described in "(elisp) Synchronous Processes" I see
> now. Maybe the doc string needs a bit more explanation?
>
> From this info node:
>
>   While Emacs waits for the synchronous subprocess to terminate, the
>   user can quit by typing `C-g'.

C-g is Emacs' way to trigger a `quit' signal.

> Why not have this behaviour for async processes too then?

I seem to remember that I already provided an answer to the question.

> Ambigouties can perhaps be removed by that little question I added
> to my suggestion in another message.

Any question like that is supposed to be abortable with C-g.  It would
be a nuisance if that happened to stop the process.  It would also
mean that the sequence to stop a process would need to be C-g y and I
don't see the advantage over C-c C-k.

There is a concern that we should probably unify on this key sequence:
for example, I have been bitten by C-c C-c actually killing a CVS
process.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19 14:53                   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-19 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

David Kastrup wrote:
>> Why not have this behaviour for async processes too then?
>>

> I seem to remember that I already provided an answer to the question.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but was the reason not the ambiguity?

>> Ambiguoties can perhaps be removed by that little question I added
>> to my suggestion in another message.
>>

> Any question like that is supposed to be abortable with C-g.  It would
> be a nuisance if that happened to stop the process.
You can still cancel the prompt with my solution.

At least that is the case when it works. There is something strange
going on when I test my solution. Sometimes it seems like C-g still just
runs keyboard-quit. I do not really understand why. Is it not possible
to rebind C-g?

Another problem perhaps. If C-g is bound to keyboard-quit I get messages
like this in the message buffer:

    QuitError during redisplay: (quit)
    Error during redisplay: (quit)

> It would also
> mean that the sequence to stop a process would need to be C-g y and I
> don't see the advantage over C-c C-k.

The advantage is that the user just have to remember C-g.

> There is a concern that we should probably unify on this key sequence:
> for example, I have been bitten by C-c C-c actually killing a CVS
> process.

I agree with the principle but I would prefer C-g for similar reasons.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19 15:04                     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-19 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Another problem perhaps. If C-g is bound to keyboard-quit I get
> messages like this in the message buffer:
>
>    QuitError during redisplay: (quit)
>    Error during redisplay: (quit)
>
>> It would also
>> mean that the sequence to stop a process would need to be C-g y and I
>> don't see the advantage over C-c C-k.
>>
> The advantage is that the user just have to remember C-g.
>
>> There is a concern that we should probably unify on this key sequence:
>> for example, I have been bitten by C-c C-c actually killing a CVS
>> process.
>>
> I agree with the principle but I would prefer C-g for similar reasons.

I disagree.  C-g is supposed to stop Emacs, not other processes.  I
don't consider it a good idea to have to worry about arbitrary
processes terminating.  IIRC, keyboard-quit events even cut straight
across a lot of the input loop.  It is probably not even useful to
rebind them in local keymaps, since those keymaps might not be active
at the time C-g is pressed.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-19 15:18                       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-19 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

David Kastrup wrote:
> I disagree.  C-g is supposed to stop Emacs, not other processes.  I
> don't consider it a good idea to have to worry about arbitrary
> processes terminating.
Would it be better if some processes were excluded? Could something else
be done to enhance my idea? (Except dropping it ;-)

> IIRC, keyboard-quit events even cut straight
> across a lot of the input loop.  It is probably not even useful to
> rebind them in local keymaps, since those keymaps might not be active
> at the time C-g is pressed.

Thanks.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-20  4:32     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-20  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    >     How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g and
    >     M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus, but I found
    >     nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)
    >
    > Since the buffer fills asynchronously, C-g won't stop it.
    > Killing the buffer should do so.  Does that work?

    It does, but suppose you want the information that is already there?

What is the motive for wanting to stop the process?
What harm does it do to let the process keep running?

Does M-x kill-grep kill the process for find-grep-dired?
If not, I think we should make it work.

    That could be the case for `grep-find' for example. Why not bind C-g to
    something like this in those buffers (or globally)?

I get a bad feeling about that.  People type C-g to try to cancel
commands, and sometimes do so by mistake in betweeen commands.  This
is a matter of habit.  If the habit activates itself while
find-grep-dired is running, it could kill the process when you
don't want to.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-20  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

       While Emacs waits for the synchronous subprocess to terminate, the
       user can quit by typing `C-g'.

    Why not have this behaviour for async processes too then?

Asynch processes are not commands;
making C-g affect them would cause confusion.

For C-g to ask a question about which kind of quitting to do
would be a pain in the neck.

Please drop this idea.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-21  8:56       ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2006-08-21  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:32:30 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Does M-x kill-grep kill the process for find-grep-dired?
> If not, I think we should make it work.
>
>     That could be the case for `grep-find' for example. Why not bind C-g to
>     something like this in those buffers (or globally)?
>
> I get a bad feeling about that.  People type C-g to try to cancel
> commands, and sometimes do so by mistake in betweeen commands.  This
> is a matter of habit.  If the habit activates itself while
> find-grep-dired is running, it could kill the process when you
> don't want to.

I suggest to use C-x C-g to kill the buffer's associated process (any,
not just grep) like this:

(defun kill-async-process ()
  "Kill the asynchronous process associated with this buffer"
  (interactive)
       (delete-process nil))

(global-set-key "\C-x\C-g" 'kill-async-process)

This can not harm, because you must use it in the relevant buffer.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-21  9:14         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-21  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Ehud Karni wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:32:30 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Does M-x kill-grep kill the process for find-grep-dired?
>> If not, I think we should make it work.
>>
>>     That could be the case for `grep-find' for example. Why not bind C-g to
>>     something like this in those buffers (or globally)?
>>
>> I get a bad feeling about that.  People type C-g to try to cancel
>> commands, and sometimes do so by mistake in betweeen commands.  This
>> is a matter of habit.  If the habit activates itself while
>> find-grep-dired is running, it could kill the process when you
>> don't want to.
>>

> I suggest to use C-x C-g to kill the buffer's associated process (any,
> not just grep) like this:
>
> (defun kill-async-process ()
>   "Kill the asynchronous process associated with this buffer"
>   (interactive)
>        (delete-process nil))
>
> (global-set-key "\C-x\C-g" 'kill-async-process)
>
> This can not harm, because you must use it in the relevant buffer.

I was going to make the same kind of suggestion. However maybe C-c C-g
is better since this kind of key sequences are reserved for major modes
(see "(info) Key Binding Conventions") and the actual command to use for
stopping/killing is dependent on the major mode.

Typing it several times could maybe make Emacs try harder to stop the
subprocess. This is the same idea as is used today for synch
subprocesses where typing C-g once sends SIGINT and if C-g is typed
again then SIGKILL is sent to the subprocess (see "(info) Creating
Synchronous Processes").

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-21  9:15       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-21  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     >     How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g and
>     >     M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus, but I found
>     >     nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)
>     >
>     > Since the buffer fills asynchronously, C-g won't stop it.
>     > Killing the buffer should do so.  Does that work?
>
>     It does, but suppose you want the information that is already there?
>
> What is the motive for wanting to stop the process?
> What harm does it do to let the process keep running?

On a slow computer it takes a lot of CPU and it can take long time.

> Does M-x kill-grep kill the process for find-grep-dired?
> If not, I think we should make it work.

kill-find does, but kill-grep is not defined after just find-grep-dired.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-21 18:40             ` Stuart D. Herring
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2006-08-21 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Yes, but how do you know that the process is async from elisp? Or is
> that maybe just a stupid question .... ;-)

Sorry if the ;-) means you know this, but just in case not:

You never see a synchronous process from elisp.  No elisp is evaluating
while the process runs.  So the answer is "all processes are asynchronous"
in the sense of all processes that you ever see.

Davis

shipping.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-21 23:40               ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-21 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stuart D. Herring wrote:
>> Yes, but how do you know that the process is async from elisp? Or is
>> that maybe just a stupid question .... ;-)
>>

> Sorry if the ;-) means you know this, but just in case not:
>
> You never see a synchronous process from elisp.  No elisp is evaluating
> while the process runs.  So the answer is "all processes are asynchronous"
> in the sense of all processes that you ever see.
>
> Davis

Thanks for your kindness. I think the explanation is a valuable one.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-22  3:09         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-22  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

    I suggest to use C-x C-g to kill the buffer's associated process (any,
    not just grep) like this:

No good; typing C-g after C-x is the way to cancel the C-x.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-22  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > Does M-x kill-grep kill the process for find-grep-dired?
    > If not, I think we should make it work.

    kill-find does, but kill-grep is not defined after just find-grep-dired.

We could certainly have a single kill command to kill the process
outputting into the current buffer.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-22  5:44           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-22  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ehud, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I suggest to use C-x C-g to kill the buffer's associated process (any,
>     not just grep) like this:
>
> No good; typing C-g after C-x is the way to cancel the C-x.

"C-c C-k" ?

C-c because it is mode specific, C-k as a mnemonic for kill.

* RE: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-22  5:59             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-08-22  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >     I suggest to use C-x C-g to kill the buffer's associated
    >     process (any, not just grep) like this:
    >
    > No good; typing C-g after C-x is the way to cancel the C-x.

    "C-c C-k" ?

    C-c because it is mode specific, C-k as a mnemonic for kill.

I wonder if we really need a key binding for this. Is it something people
will do often? Wouldn't using M-x suffice?

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-22  7:21               ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-22  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Drew Adams wrote:
>     >     I suggest to use C-x C-g to kill the buffer's associated
>     >     process (any, not just grep) like this:
>     >
>     > No good; typing C-g after C-x is the way to cancel the C-x.
>
>     "C-c C-k" ?
>
>     C-c because it is mode specific, C-k as a mnemonic for kill.
>
> I wonder if we really need a key binding for this. Is it something people
> will do often? Wouldn't using M-x suffice?

If the subprocess is using much CPU it can take quite a while before the
M-x prompt appear.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-22 15:41             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-22 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ehud, emacs-devel

    "C-c C-k" ?

    C-c because it is mode specific, C-k as a mnemonic for kill.

I see C-c C-k already has that meaning in the buffers made by M-x grep
and M-x compile.  So let's set it up to kill the process of
find-grep-dired as well.

I previously suggested defining a command that would kill the process
for various such modes; but making C-c C-k do the job in all these
modes seems simpler, and more upward compatible.

Would someone like to implement C-c C-k for find-grep-dired?

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-22 15:52               ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2006-08-22 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, ehud, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I see C-c C-k already has that meaning in the buffers made by M-x grep
> and M-x compile.  So let's set it up to kill the process of
> find-grep-dired as well.

It already does.

Andreas.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-22 16:31                 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-22 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ehud, rms, emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>

>> I see C-c C-k already has that meaning in the buffers made by M-x grep
>> and M-x compile.  So let's set it up to kill the process of
>> find-grep-dired as well.
>>

> It already does.
>
> Andreas.

Thanks. I did not notice and now I know why. When using Cygwin for the
inferior process trying to use kill-find just hangs Emacs. So there is a
bug here.

kill-find now uses `delete-process'. Using `interrupt-process' or
`kill-process' works instead. Is there any reason not to use them? Or at
least try them first?

Maybe a process killing command should try this one after the other
until the process is gone? (And then do the mode specific cleanup.)

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-23  4:06                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-23  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, ehud, emacs-devel

    > I see C-c C-k already has that meaning in the buffers made by M-x grep
    > and M-x compile.  So let's set it up to kill the process of
    > find-grep-dired as well.

    It already does.

Then we just need to document this convention better.
Would you like to try?

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-24  6:12                   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-24  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, ehud, rms, emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>>

>>> I see C-c C-k already has that meaning in the buffers made by M-x grep
>>> and M-x compile.  So let's set it up to kill the process of
>>> find-grep-dired as well.
>>>

>> It already does.
>>
>> Andreas.
>>
> Thanks. I did not notice and now I know why. When using Cygwin for the
> inferior process trying to use kill-find just hangs Emacs. So there is
> a bug here.
>
> kill-find now uses `delete-process'. Using `interrupt-process' or
> `kill-process' works instead. Is there any reason not to use them? Or
> at least try them first?
>
> Maybe a process killing command should try this one after the other
> until the process is gone? (And then do the mode specific cleanup.)

I got no repsonse to this. Please notice that this is a bug on w32!

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-29 22:04                   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-08-29 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, ehud, emacs-devel, lennart.borgman.073

>     > I see C-c C-k already has that meaning in the buffers made by M-x grep
>     > and M-x compile.  So let's set it up to kill the process of
>     > find-grep-dired as well.
>
>     It already does.
>
> Then we just need to document this convention better.
> Would you like to try?

Is `C-c C-k' a common key to kill the process?

I see it bound to `kill-compilation', `kill-grep', `kill-find',
`ps-run-kill', `tex-kill-job' and no more.

It is even no available for the buffer where it is very necessary:
there is no keybinding to kill the process in the *Async Shell Command*.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-30 17:58                     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-30 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, ehud, emacs-devel, lennart.borgman.073

    I see it bound to `kill-compilation', `kill-grep', `kill-find',
    `ps-run-kill', `tex-kill-job' and no more.

That is a fair number of different modes.

    It is even no available for the buffer where it is very necessary:
    there is no keybinding to kill the process in the *Async Shell Command*.

Would you like to add a definition for that mode?

Meanwhile, as this is becoming a general convention, we might want to
move this off of C-c to some other prefix.  (Not right now.)
But is there a suitable place to move it?

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-08-30 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juri Linkov, schwab, ehud, lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

>     I see it bound to `kill-compilation', `kill-grep', `kill-find',
>     `ps-run-kill', `tex-kill-job' and no more.

> That is a fair number of different modes.

>     It is even no available for the buffer where it is very necessary:
>     there is no keybinding to kill the process in the *Async Shell Command*.

> Would you like to add a definition for that mode?

> Meanwhile, as this is becoming a general convention, we might want to
> move this off of C-c to some other prefix.  (Not right now.)
> But is there a suitable place to move it?

I propose C-x since the mnemonic value of the x shape as in "cross it out"
sounds pretty obvious.

        Stefan ;-P

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-30 22:46                       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-08-30 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, ehud, emacs-devel, lennart.borgman.073

>     I see it bound to `kill-compilation', `kill-grep', `kill-find',
>     `ps-run-kill', `tex-kill-job' and no more.
>
> That is a fair number of different modes.
>
>     It is even no available for the buffer where it is very necessary:
>     there is no keybinding to kill the process in the *Async Shell Command*.
>
> Would you like to add a definition for that mode?

*Async Shell Command* is in shell-mode which inherits from comint-mode.
comint-mode has the commands `comint-quit-subjob' (C-c C-z),
`comint-stop-subjob' (C-c C-\), `comint-interrupt-subjob' (C-c C-c),
and `comint-kill-subjob' (not bound to C-c C-k as one would expect!),
and none of them works in *Async Shell Command*, because
`shell-filter-ctrl-a-ctrl-b' called via `comint-skip-input' fails here.
(see bug in emacs-pretest-bug).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-31  7:43                         ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-08-31  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, schwab, emacs-devel, Juri Linkov, lennart.borgman.073, ehud

>> Meanwhile, as this is becoming a general convention, we might want to
>> move this off of C-c to some other prefix.  (Not right now.)
>> But is there a suitable place to move it?

I think C-c C-k is quite ok (as a conventional binding in process
buffers).  Contrary to e.g. C-x C-k (which could be used globally),
using the C-c prefix clearly indicates that you must switch to the
relevant process' buffer before you can kill the process.

> I propose C-x since the mnemonic value of the x shape as in "cross it out"
> sounds pretty obvious.

Do you suggest C-x C-k ?

C-x C-k is a prefix for many keyboard macro related commands.

It's been there for a long time now, and to make it useful, it
need to be on a C-x C-<something> key.

What other key do you suggest for this then?

I suggest we leave things where they are (and have been for ages!)

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-31 18:16                         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-31 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: juri, schwab, ehud, lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

    I propose C-x since the mnemonic value of the x shape as in "cross it out"
    sounds pretty obvious.

Putting it on the C-x prefix would be fine, but what is the precise
command you suggest?

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-31 18:49                           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-31 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, emacs-devel, juri, Stefan Monnier, lennart.borgman.073,
	ehud

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     I propose C-x since the mnemonic value of the x shape as in
>     "cross it out" sounds pretty obvious.
>
> Putting it on the C-x prefix would be fine, but what is the precise
> command you suggest?

I think he was joking.

Anyway, I don't think this should be moved from the C-c prefix since
the functionality is associated basically with comint-related buffers,
those having an associated user-visible shell process, but not
restricted to them.

For example, AUCTeX uses C-c C-k too in order to kill an associated
process, even though this process is run in a different buffer.

I don't think that the functionality "kill any process associated with
_this_ buffer" should have a keybinding, in contrast.  The relation of
such a process with regard to the user interface is more than unclear.

I'd strongly recommend C-c C-k as a binding to major mode authors to
stop a process run on behalf of the major mode _if_ there is a good
case for such a killing, and regardless of whether this process is run
in a different buffer or not (for example, for the purpose of
capturing output).

But I don't think there is a useful global binding in it for this.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-08-31 23:34                             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-08-31 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, schwab, emacs-devel, monnier, lennart.borgman.073, ehud

> I'd strongly recommend C-c C-k as a binding to major mode authors to
> stop a process run on behalf of the major mode _if_ there is a good
> case for such a killing, and regardless of whether this process is run
> in a different buffer or not (for example, for the purpose of
> capturing output).

Do you know why comint doesn't bind C-c C-k to comint-kill-subjob?
Are there any reasons not to do so?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-09-01  2:10                               ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-09-01  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, schwab, emacs-devel, monnier, lennart.borgman.073, ehud

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
> Do you know why comint doesn't bind C-c C-k to comint-kill-subjob?
> Are there any reasons not to do so?

It's almost always the wrong thing to use, especially for a typical
comint process [*], so having a handy binding by default seems like
asking for trouble.

[*] (1) It send SIGKILL, which is a last-ditch emergency measure, not
        the way you should ordinarily stop a process
    (2) Because it sends a _signal_, rather than using pty, it will kill
        the sub-shell rather than the foreground process, in the case of
        a shell session (not to mention a telnet session etc).

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.

* Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
@ 2006-09-01 23:47                                 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-09-01 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, schwab, emacs-devel, monnier, lennart.borgman.073, ehud

>> Do you know why comint doesn't bind C-c C-k to comint-kill-subjob?
>> Are there any reasons not to do so?
>
> It's almost always the wrong thing to use, especially for a typical
> comint process [*], so having a handy binding by default seems like
> asking for trouble.
>
> [*] (1) It send SIGKILL, which is a last-ditch emergency measure, not
>         the way you should ordinarily stop a process
>     (2) Because it sends a _signal_, rather than using pty, it will kill
>         the sub-shell rather than the foreground process, in the case of
>         a shell session (not to mention a telnet session etc).

It could ask for confirmation.  Or behave in a similar way as C-g used
to stop a running command, i.e. to wait for the process to die, and
another C-c C-k again could kill it instantly.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/