* Some q:s about find-file-not-found-set-buffer-file-coding-system
@ 2006-06-16 15:49 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-06-16 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe this function is w32 specific?

1) In the beginning of this function there is a statement

    (set-buffer (current-buffer))

What does this do?

2) This function is only used in the (obsolete) hook
`find-file-not-found-hooks'. The functions added to this non-normal hook
is run until one of the functions return non-nil. I believe this
function does not reflect this. Should it not do that?

3) This function sets buffer-file-coding-system eol type based on
untranslated-file-p only (avoiding this if coding-system-for-read or
inhibit-eol-conversion is set). Is there a way to set this based on the
file name? Otherwise, could this be added?

4) In addition to setting buffer-file-coding-system it sets
buffer-file-type. That actually breaks the return value in 2 above since
it is done last. It is also a bit surprising.

5) buffer-file-type is in my opinion a not very good name. Maybe
buffer-file-binary would be easier to understand? The variable is used
in very few places in Emacs.

* Re: Some q:s about find-file-not-found-set-buffer-file-coding-system
@ 2006-06-16 19:51 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-06-16 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> I believe this function is w32 specific?
>
> 1) In the beginning of this function there is a statement
>
>    (set-buffer (current-buffer))
>
> What does this do?
>
> 2) This function is only used in the (obsolete) hook
> `find-file-not-found-hooks'. The functions added to this non-normal
> hook is run until one of the functions return non-nil. I believe this
> function does not reflect this. Should it not do that?
>
> 3) This function sets buffer-file-coding-system eol type based on
> untranslated-file-p only (avoiding this if coding-system-for-read or
> inhibit-eol-conversion is set). Is there a way to set this based on
> the file name? Otherwise, could this be added?
>
> 4) In addition to setting buffer-file-coding-system it sets
> buffer-file-type. That actually breaks the return value in 2 above
> since it is done last. It is also a bit surprising.
>
> 5) buffer-file-type is in my opinion a not very good name. Maybe
> buffer-file-binary would be easier to understand? The variable is used
> in very few places in Emacs.

Since I have use for the functionality I suggested above I have
implemented it separately at the moment in a file named emacsw32-eol.el
which is here:

    http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/elisp/w32/

I think this should go into dos-w32.el however.