* Unsafe variables in help?
@ 2006-05-22  8:23 Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-05-22  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

When selecting Help => Tutorial or Help => Emacs News or Help => Emacs Known
Problems you get a statement that local variables may be unsafe.  These are
paragraph-separate (for News and Know Problems) and sentence-emd-double-space
for Tutorial.

Are these unsafe or can they be marked safe?  It seems a bit unfriendly to a
beginner that wants to start the tutorial to start talking about unsafe lisp
variables :-).

	Jan D.

* Re: Unsafe variables in help?
@ 2006-05-22  9:03 ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-05-22  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> Hello.
>
> When selecting Help => Tutorial or Help => Emacs News or Help => Emacs
> Known Problems you get a statement that local variables may be unsafe.
> These are paragraph-separate (for News and Know Problems) and
> sentence-emd-double-space for Tutorial.
>
> Are these unsafe or can they be marked safe?  It seems a bit
> unfriendly to a beginner that wants to start the tutorial to start
> talking about unsafe lisp variables :-).
>
> 	Jan D.

I didn't have this problem in GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 2.8.17) of 2006-05-18

--
Leon

* Re: Unsafe variables in help?
@ 2006-05-22  9:51   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-05-22  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Leon skrev:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> When selecting Help => Tutorial or Help => Emacs News or Help => Emacs
>> Known Problems you get a statement that local variables may be unsafe.
>> These are paragraph-separate (for News and Know Problems) and
>> sentence-emd-double-space for Tutorial.
>>
>> Are these unsafe or can they be marked safe?  It seems a bit
>> unfriendly to a beginner that wants to start the tutorial to start
>> talking about unsafe lisp variables :-).
>>
>> 	Jan D.
>
> I didn't have this problem in GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> GTK+ Version 2.8.17) of 2006-05-18

Isn't 23.0.0.1 the unicode branch?  Did you really start emacs with -Q?

	Jan D.

* Re: Unsafe variables in help?
@ 2006-05-22 10:18   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-05-22 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Leon wrote:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>

>> Hello.
>>
>> When selecting Help => Tutorial or Help => Emacs News or Help => Emacs
>> Known Problems you get a statement that local variables may be unsafe.
>> These are paragraph-separate (for News and Know Problems) and
>> sentence-emd-double-space for Tutorial.
>>
>> Are these unsafe or can they be marked safe?  It seems a bit
>> unfriendly to a beginner that wants to start the tutorial to start
>> talking about unsafe lisp variables :-).
>>
>> 	Jan D.
>>

> I didn't have this problem in GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> GTK+ Version 2.8.17) of 2006-05-18

I do not see this problems either on w32. Started with emacs -Q, using
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2006-05-20.

* Re: Unsafe variables in help?
@ 2006-05-22 10:30     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-05-22 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Leon, emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman skrev:
> Leon wrote:
>> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>>

>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> When selecting Help => Tutorial or Help => Emacs News or Help => Emacs
>>> Known Problems you get a statement that local variables may be unsafe.
>>> These are paragraph-separate (for News and Know Problems) and
>>> sentence-emd-double-space for Tutorial.
>>>
>>> Are these unsafe or can they be marked safe?  It seems a bit
>>> unfriendly to a beginner that wants to start the tutorial to start
>>> talking about unsafe lisp variables :-).
>>>
>>>     Jan D.
>>>

>> I didn't have this problem in GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
>> GTK+ Version 2.8.17) of 2006-05-18
>>
> I do not see this problems either on w32. Started with emacs -Q, using
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2006-05-20.

Never mind, autoloads wasn't updated correctly here.  Sorry for the noise.

	Jan D.