* Different behavior on diff. CPU (Carbon Emacs)
@ 2006-04-24 13:29 Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2006-04-24 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw

Whenever I M-x compile a project on my G4 Powerbook[1], I get the
correct behavior: the *compilation* buffer is syntax-highlighted & if
there's an error, C-x ` will open up the buffer of the offending file, &
jump to the place in the file that the compiler process claims is
causing the error.

On my G5 PowerMac[2], however, *compilation* is not highlighted at all,
and C-x ` doesn't work. I'm compiling with Makefiles, and this occurs
when compiling C code or OCaml code.

This happens with CVS Emacs from a couple of days ago. Same .emacs in
both. Same Makefile .I don't customise
compilation-error-regexp-alist[-alist].

I'm not sure how even to start debugging this. I'm hoping for some
pointers so that I can provide you with useful info.

Thanks.

-Denis

[1] Darwin taggart.local 8.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.6.0: Tue Mar  7
16:58:48 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.70.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh
powerpc

[2] Darwin ford.local 8.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.6.0: Tue Mar  7
16:58:48 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.70.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh
powerpc

* Re: Different behavior on diff. CPU (Carbon Emacs)
@ 2006-04-24 16:55 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-04-24 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw

Denis Bueno wrote:
> Whenever I M-x compile a project on my G4 Powerbook[1], I get the
> correct behavior: the *compilation* buffer is syntax-highlighted & if
> there's an error, C-x ` will open up the buffer of the offending file, &
> jump to the place in the file that the compiler process claims is
> causing the error.
>
> On my G5 PowerMac[2], however, *compilation* is not highlighted at all,
> and C-x ` doesn't work. I'm compiling with Makefiles, and this occurs
> when compiling C code or OCaml code.
>
> This happens with CVS Emacs from a couple of days ago. Same .emacs in
> both. Same Makefile .I don't customise
> compilation-error-regexp-alist[-alist].
>
> I'm not sure how even to start debugging this. I'm hoping for some
> pointers so that I can provide you with useful info.

Is the output in the *compilation* buffer identical on the 2 platforms?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Sr. Software Engineer, IHS

* Re: Different behavior on diff. CPU (Carbon Emacs)
@ 2006-04-25 12:58   ` Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2006-04-25 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Denis Bueno wrote:
>> Whenever I M-x compile a project on my G4 Powerbook[1], I get the
>> correct behavior: the *compilation* buffer is syntax-highlighted & if
>> there's an error, C-x ` will open up the buffer of the offending file,
>> & jump to the place in the file that the compiler process claims is
>> causing the error.
>>
>> On my G5 PowerMac[2], however, *compilation* is not highlighted at
>> all, and C-x ` doesn't work. I'm compiling with Makefiles, and this
>> occurs when compiling C code or OCaml code.
>>
>> This happens with CVS Emacs from a couple of days ago. Same .emacs in
>> both. Same Makefile .I don't customise
>> compilation-error-regexp-alist[-alist].
>>
>> I'm not sure how even to start debugging this. I'm hoping for some
>> pointers so that I can provide you with useful info.
>
> Is the output in the *compilation* buffer identical on the 2 platforms?

Yes.

-Denis