* read-file-name: resulting file name must satisfy predicate ?
@ 2006-03-29 19:09 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-03-29 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

The doc string for `read-file-name' says

    If optional sixth arg predicate is non-nil, possible completions and
    the resulting file name must satisfy (funcall predicate NAME).

However testing with

    (read-file-name "File: " nil nil nil nil (lambda(name) (string-match
"wantname")))

and entering some characters for the file name and then pressing <RET>
just seem to return whatever the mini-buffer shows. Maybe this is
correct. The doc string could be read as "resulting file name from
completion". But it is in my opinion still unclear and a bit unexpected.

This is on w32. GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2006-03-28.

* Re: read-file-name: resulting file name must satisfy predicate ?
@ 2006-03-29 21:17 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-03-29 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> The doc string for `read-file-name' says
>
>    If optional sixth arg predicate is non-nil, possible completions and
>    the resulting file name must satisfy (funcall predicate NAME).
>
> However testing with
>
>    (read-file-name "File: " nil nil nil nil (lambda(name) (string-match
> "wantname")))
>
> and entering some characters for the file name and then pressing <RET>
> just seem to return whatever the mini-buffer shows. Maybe this is
> correct. The doc string could be read as "resulting file name from
> completion". But it is in my opinion still unclear and a bit unexpected.
>
> This is on w32. GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2006-03-28.

Does it work if you pass the required second arg to string-match:

(read-file-name "File: " nil nil nil nil
                 (lambda (name) (string-match "wantname" name)))

I don't think "resulting from completion" is relevant when MUSTMATCH
(the fourth arg) is nil.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: read-file-name: resulting file name must satisfy predicate ?
@ 2006-03-29 21:28   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-03-29 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> The doc string for `read-file-name' says
>>
>>    If optional sixth arg predicate is non-nil, possible completions and
>>    the resulting file name must satisfy (funcall predicate NAME).
>>
>> However testing with
>>
>>    (read-file-name "File: " nil nil nil nil (lambda(name)
>> (string-match "wantname")))
>>
>> and entering some characters for the file name and then pressing
>> <RET> just seem to return whatever the mini-buffer shows. Maybe this
>> is correct. The doc string could be read as "resulting file name from
>> completion". But it is in my opinion still unclear and a bit unexpected.
>>
>> This is on w32. GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of
>> 2006-03-28.
>
> Does it work if you pass the required second arg to string-match:
>
> (read-file-name "File: " nil nil nil nil
>                 (lambda (name) (string-match "wantname" name)))
Oh, sorry. I should train my cut-and-paste. ;-) -- but no.  It is still
the same behaviour.

> I don't think "resulting from completion" is relevant when MUSTMATCH
> (the fourth arg) is nil.

Yes, you are right. But do you get the same behaviour as me?