* Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
@ 2005-10-26  7:15 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-26  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Someone translated cmd-mode.el for me from Japanese to English. I think
it would be nice to keep the Japanese comments too in the translated
file, but I wonder how the header should look then? Now it looks like this:

;; -*- Mode: Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-
;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files
;;
;; Copyright 2001 by Tadamegu Furukawa.[tfuruka1@nifty.com]
;;
;; Translated to English 2005 by ....

However `checkdoc' complains that there is no first line summary with
this header.

BTW, I do not know who did the translation any more since I got a mail
crash and lost my Emacs folder. Can You who translated cmd-mode.el
please mail me? I am sorry about my confusion here.

* Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
@ 2005-10-26  7:50 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-10-26  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <435F2D21.7060000@student.lu.se>, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Someone translated cmd-mode.el for me from Japanese to English. I think
> it would be nice to keep the Japanese comments too in the translated
> file, but I wonder how the header should look then? Now it looks like this:

> ;; -*- Mode: Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-
> ;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files
> ;;
> ;; Copyright 2001 by Tadamegu Furukawa.[tfuruka1@nifty.com]
> ;;
> ;; Translated to English 2005 by ....

> However `checkdoc' complains that there is no first line summary with
> this header.

The node "Library Headers" of Elisp info describes the
convention.

> BTW, I do not know who did the translation any more since I got a mail
> crash and lost my Emacs folder. Can You who translated cmd-mode.el
> please mail me? I am sorry about my confusion here.

It's me.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
@ 2005-10-26 15:56   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-26 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:

>>;; -*- Mode: Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-
>>;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files
>>

>The node "Library Headers" of Elisp info describes the
>convention.

Thanks, I see. The --*-- spec should be on the same line as the description:

;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files ;; -*- Mode:
Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-

>>Can You who translated cmd-mode.el
>>please mail me? I am sorry about my confusion here.
>>

>It's me.

Thanks Handa. I will remember now ;-)  -- Is Kenichi or Handa your first
name?

* Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
@ 2005-10-26 16:22     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-10-26 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Oct 26 2005, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> ;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files ;; -*- Mode:
>     Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-

I think there's no need for the mode part.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
@ 2005-10-26 16:34       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-26 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Reiner Steib wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 26 2005, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>

>>;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files ;; -*- Mode:
>>    Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-
>>

>I think there's no need for the mode part.
>
>Bye, Reiner.

I do not understand this at all but with the mode part the Japanese
characters shows up as just squares on my pc. Without the mode part it
is shown as for example \202B etc.

I got the orignial file with the mode part so I guess it should be
there. I can not see the Japanese characters, but it still looks better
with the mode part.

I simply would be glad for some more explanation and a suggestion on how
to do ;-)

* Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
@ 2005-10-27  1:26     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-10-27  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <435FA746.5000203@student.lu.se>, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Kenichi Handa wrote:
>>> ;; -*- Mode: Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-
>>> ;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files
>>>

>> The node "Library Headers" of Elisp info describes the
>> convention.
>>

> Thanks, I see. The --*-- spec should be on the same line as the description:

> ;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files ;; -*- Mode:
> Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-

You don't need "mode: Emacs-Lisp" because the file has
extension ".el".  Such a file is automatically visitted in
emacs-lisp mode.   And if the first line gets too longer,
you can put coding: sjis-dos at the end of a file using
locale variable section.

> Thanks Handa. I will remember now ;-)  -- Is Kenichi or Handa your first
> name?

Kenichi is my first name.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
@ 2005-10-27  1:30     ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-27  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, handa

    Thanks, I see. The --*-- spec should be on the same line as the description:

You could put it in a Local Variables List at the end of the file
if that looks better.

* Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
@ 2005-10-27  1:33       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-10-27  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, emacs-devel

2005/10/27, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>:
> > Thanks, I see. The --*-- spec should be on the same line as the description:
>
> > ;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files ;; -*- Mode:
> > Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-
>
> You don't need "mode: Emacs-Lisp" because the file has
> extension ".el".  Such a file is automatically visitted in
> emacs-lisp mode.   And if the first line gets too longer,
> you can put coding: sjis-dos at the end of a file using
> locale variable section.

BTW, wouldn't it make sense to have checkdoc allow a "two line" header too?
It seems kind of silly to force all that stuff on one line when a
two-line version is arguably more readable (in those cases where you
need a long description).

I mean something like what Lennart originally tried:

    ;;; -*- Mode: Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-
    ;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files

I.e., the first line is just the mode vars, and the real header is the 2nd line.

[of course maybe it's not necessary in this case,, if Mode: Emacs-Lisp
is removed.]

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
@ 2005-10-28  3:47         ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-28  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel, handa

    BTW, wouldn't it make sense to have checkdoc allow a "two line" header too?

Yes, I think it should.