* string-match case sensivity depends on case-fold-search buffer local value?
@ 2005-10-18 13:07 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-18 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am beeing disturbed by this sentence in the docstring for `string-match':

     Case is ignored if `case-fold-search' is non-nil in the current buffer.

Is this really true?

* Re: string-match case sensivity depends on case-fold-search buffer local   value?
@ 2005-10-18 18:53 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-10-18 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> I am beeing disturbed by this sentence in the docstring for `string-match':
>
>     Case is ignored if `case-fold-search' is non-nil in the current buffer.
>
> Is this really true?

I hope so, otherwise how could you specify that the match must be
case-sensitive or case-insensitive?  Now it can be done by let-
binding case-fold-search.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: string-match case sensivity depends on case-fold-search buffer local   value?
@ 2005-10-18 19:09   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-18 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>> I am beeing disturbed by this sentence in the docstring for
>> `string-match':
>>
>>     Case is ignored if `case-fold-search' is non-nil in the current
>> buffer.
>>
>> Is this really true?
>

> I hope so, otherwise how could you specify that the match must be
> case-sensitive or case-insensitive?  Now it can be done by let-
> binding case-fold-search.

Thanks, but there is still something I do not understand. Why is "the
current buffer" mentioned? I thought that maybe it could not be let-bound.

* Re: string-match case sensivity depends on case-fold-search buffer local value?
@ 2005-10-18 19:51     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-10-18 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>
> >Lennart Borgman wrote:
> >
> >>I am beeing disturbed by this sentence in the docstring for
> >>`string-match':
> >>
> >>    Case is ignored if `case-fold-search' is non-nil in the current
> >>buffer.
> >>
> >>Is this really true?
> >

> >I hope so, otherwise how could you specify that the match must be
> >case-sensitive or case-insensitive?  Now it can be done by let-
> >binding case-fold-search.
>
> Thanks, but there is still something I do not understand. Why is "the
> current buffer" mentioned? I thought that maybe it could not be let-bound.

Because case-fold-search is buffer-local.

* Re: string-match case sensivity depends on case-fold-search buffer local value?
@ 2005-10-19  2:43 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-19  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I changed it to say

   Matching ignores case `case-fold-search' is non-nil.

which is equally true, but less confusing.