* gtk scroll bar deficiency
@ 2007-06-11 18:05 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2007-06-11 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Re: gtk scroll bar deficiency
@ 2007-06-14  8:52 grischka
From: grischka @ 2007-06-14  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> > is this change intentional?
> > it looks like a bug to me...

> I'm pretty sure it's intentional. It's not perfect, but the perfect
> behavior (which you get with the non-toolkit build) tends to be difficult
> to get with current toolkits because toolkit writers are boneheaded: they
> prevent applications from doing some very useful things in order to force
> them into a predefined mould which of course doesn't fit all.

Cheap propaganda. The truth is that current emacs' idea of scrolling
is just too simple minded than that it could drive a standard scrollbar
correctly.

> PS: Basically, they want to enforce limitations of the physical metaphor,
> rather than let people benefit from the fact that it's only a metaphor and
> thus doesn't need to suffer from the same limits.

Only that the limitations which you complain are part of the means by
which the metaphor is created in the first place. It's like with a game
and its rules. The game doesn't "suffer" from the rules, the game is
the rules.

> Soon they'll ask for mouses with feedback so the user has to make
> a physical effort proportional to the size of the text/window when
> sliding the thumb. Next thing you know, the scrollbars will wear out
> and will need regular maintenance so they don't get wedged.

Uh, do I live in future? Emacs' bars _were_ wedged last I tried :)

-- grischka