* ntemacs doesn't update the display immediately when holding some keys down.
@ 2008-05-27  2:15 Kevin Yu
From: Kevin Yu @ 2008-05-27  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

    ntemacs will update the window when you release the PgDn or PgUp key.
This behavior is
different from emacs22. If transient-mark-mode is active, ntemacs response
slowly if holding up
or down key down. The lag is noticeable.

* Re: ntemacs doesn't update the display immediately when holding some keys down.
@ 2008-05-27 11:06 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-05-27 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kevin Yu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Kevin Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>     ntemacs will update the window when you release the PgDn or PgUp
> key. This behavior is
> different from emacs22. If transient-mark-mode is active, ntemacs
> response slowly if holding up
> or down key down. The lag is noticeable.

That the new font backend is slow on Windows is a known problem. I don't
see any noticeable difference between transient mark on and off, so I
don't think this is the cause. Rather it is that we have replaced
drawing code that has been tuned over decades with a completely new set
of code which was originally written for xft, so is initially tuned for
that, not for other systems.