* Minibuffer height problem
@ 2005-07-31  7:46 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-31  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

The minibuffer does not resize correctly and eventually there are some
scrambling of the content in the minibuffer (the last line could be
shown a bit up) when the following function is run. I have tested this
on w32 with CVS from today.

(defun test-minibuffer-resizing()
  (interactive)
  (let ((prompt "

Testing minibuffer window height
================================

This is a several line long prompt. Test this with a window with
a smaller heigh. The height should be big enough to hold the
whole promp. The minibuffer will not be big enough to show the
whole prompt string.

Is there maybe a limit on the minibuffer window size? If there is
one it is not described in Info (aka Emacs Manual).

This is just another paragraph to show the problem ;-)

Type Y or N: "))
      (y-or-n-p prompt)))

* Re: Minibuffer height problem
@ 2005-07-31 15:16 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-07-31 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

On 7/31/05, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:

> Is there maybe a limit on the minibuffer window size? If there is
> one it is not described in Info (aka Emacs Manual).

`max-mini-window-height'?

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Minibuffer height problem
@ 2005-07-31 15:33   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-31 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

>On 7/31/05, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:
>

>>Is there maybe a limit on the minibuffer window size? If there is
>>one it is not described in Info (aka Emacs Manual).
>>

>`max-mini-window-height'?

Hm, thanks. Seems rather logical now. I looked under 'Minibuffers'.
There is no link to "Echo area" (though it is mentioned there). It would
perhaps be good if the text on "20 Minibuffers" saying "echo area" were
converted to a link?

I still saw another problem which I do not know if you saw. At some
moment the text in the minibuffer where scrambled, but I can not
reproduce it now. Maybe something is wrong here with my pc.

* Re: Minibuffer height problem
@ 2005-07-31 15:55     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-07-31 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

On 7/31/05, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:

> It would
> perhaps be good if the text on "20 Minibuffers" saying "echo area" were
> converted to a link?

Perhaps.

> I still saw another problem which I do not know if you saw

I didn't see it, though I confess I only did minimal testing.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Minibuffer height problem
@ 2005-08-01  0:46 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-08-01  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

max-mini-window-height is documented in the Emacs Manual,
in the minibuffer section.

But I think I see a bug here: for y-or-n-p, I think it should
show the last part of the message rather than the first,
so that the "? (y or n)" appears.  In other words, it should
scroll up so the bottom appears on the screen.

Could someone please implement that, and ack this message?

* Re: Minibuffer height problem
@ 2005-08-01  1:25   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-08-01  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>max-mini-window-height is documented in the Emacs Manual,
>in the minibuffer section.

Yes, in the "user part", but I was reading the Elisp Manual and in 20.1
Introduction to Minibuffers it says

    " The minibuffer's window is normally a single line; it grows
    automatically if necessary if the contents require more space. "

Which I think is not the whole truth and actually might stop the user
from searching for more information.

>But I think I see a bug here: for y-or-n-p, I think it should
>show the last part of the message rather than the first,
>so that the "? (y or n)" appears.  In other words, it should
>scroll up so the bottom appears on the screen.
>
>Could someone please implement that, and ack this message?

I can not do it now, but I observed that yes-or-no-p does not have this
problem. Also if you enter some invalid answer to y-or-n-p it will write
"Please ..." in the wrong place in the minibuffer.

* Re: Minibuffer height problem
@ 2005-08-01 14:19     ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-08-01 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lekktu, emacs-devel

    Hm, thanks. Seems rather logical now. I looked under 'Minibuffers'.

max-mini-window-height is documented under The Minibuffer.
What place are you talking about?

    There is no link to "Echo area" (though it is mentioned there).

What is mentioned there?  And where is "there"?

								    It would
    perhaps be good if the text on "20 Minibuffers" saying "echo area" were
    converted to a link?

What is "20 Minibuffers"?

* Re: Minibuffer height problem
@ 2005-08-01 15:08       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-08-01 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lekktu, emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>    Hm, thanks. Seems rather logical now. I looked under 'Minibuffers'.
>
>max-mini-window-height is documented under The Minibuffer.
>What place are you talking about?

(elisp) Minibuffers

>    There is no link to "Echo area" (though it is mentioned there).
>
>What is mentioned there?  And where is "there"?

(elisp) The Echo Area
(elisp) Echo Area Customization
This part mentions `max-mini-window-height'.

>								    It would
>    perhaps be good if the text on "20 Minibuffers" saying "echo area" were
>    converted to a link?
>
>What is "20 Minibuffers"?

"(elisp) Minibuffers" is perhaps what I should have written.

* Re: Minibuffer height problem
@ 2005-08-01 16:46     ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-08-01 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    >Could someone please implement that, and ack this message?

    I can not do it now,

When I ask people to do a task "and then ack this message", it means I
put a reminder on it.  Please do NOT reply to such a message if you
have not done the task.  That way, I will get the proper reminder.

I will send another message now; please reply to that one if you
do the task, and not otherwise.