From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
Cc: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>,
	emacs-devel ' <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [david.reitter@gmail.com: mailclient.el - revised]
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:24:37 +0100	[thread overview]

David Reitter wrote:

> On 24 Jul 2005, at 15:46, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>>  However it should not depend on the mail client used. In w32 there
>> is a problem with the parameter length when passing the URL to w32.
>> I have done a workaround placing data on the clipboard.  Otherwise
>> (browse-url ...) for the "mailto:..." URL is used just as in your
>> original code.
>

> I don't think placing data on the clipboard and asking the user to
> copy it over would be the ideal solution. Using MAPI (instead of
> mailclient) seems to be the correct way to do things on Windows.

MAPI is a proprietary API for proprietary mail clients on a proprietary
OS. It is not the "correct" way for anything. Free mail clients such as
Emacs, Mozilla Thunderbird and others are not supported by MAPI.

mailto: urls are an open standard. They can be made to work with any
mail client that has a command-line interface, even Emacs (see the Emacs
on Windows FAQ). If there are limitations with them on Windows, then
that is something that Windows users have to live with. What Lennart
suggested seems like a good comprimise, even if not ideal, but itshould
be conditioned on whether the user has customized send-mail-function,
since there is a high chance that Emacs will be able to send mail (using
smtpmail.el for example) if the user has configured it to (this applies
to Mac as well). This may be the case already, I haven't studied the
code you wrote.