* Tooltip for menus is shown even when mouse pointer is not over the menu
@ 2005-07-24 22:30 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-24 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

1) Start with emacs -Q.
2) Set tooltip-mode.
3) Open the "Options" menu.

A tooltip is now shown where the mouse pointer is.

Is this how it is supposed to be? Would it not be better that it was
shown just when the mouse pointer is over the menu?

(I have tested this on w32. Is the behaviour the same on other systems?)

* Re: Tooltip for menus is shown even when mouse pointer is not over the menu
@ 2005-07-24 23:11 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-07-24 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> 1) Start with emacs -Q.
> 2) Set tooltip-mode.
> 3) Open the "Options" menu.
>
> A tooltip is now shown where the mouse pointer is.

I don't see this. If you open the options menu and then move the mouse
away from the menu, the tooltip timer is canceled.

* Re: Tooltip for menus is shown even when mouse pointer is not over the menu
@ 2005-07-24 23:14   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-24 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Jason Rumney wrote:

>Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>

>>1) Start with emacs -Q.
>>2) Set tooltip-mode.
>>3) Open the "Options" menu.
>>
>>A tooltip is now shown where the mouse pointer is.
>>

>I don't see this. If you open the options menu and then move the mouse
>away from the menu, the tooltip timer is canceled.

Ah, thanks! Sorry, forgot to tell I am using the keyboard to open the menu.

* Re: Tooltip for menus is shown even when mouse pointer is not over the menu
@ 2005-07-25 22:20     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-07-25 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

>>>1) Start with emacs -Q.
>>>2) Set tooltip-mode.
>>>3) Open the "Options" menu.
>>>
>>>A tooltip is now shown where the mouse pointer is.
>>
> Ah, thanks! Sorry, forgot to tell I am using the keyboard to open the menu.

Thank you for that important detail. I was able to reproduce it, and
have now fixed the problem. I am not sure if some X toolkits open the
toolkit menu on F10. The ones I tried use the text menu, so are not
affected by this bug. Potentially there is a bug on other systems too.