* Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-08  7:51 Guy Gascoigne-Piggford
From: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford @ 2004-11-08  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Doing a make bootstrap I've started getting an error loading
encoded-kb.  This is in a completely fresh directory tree, so I don't
think that this is the same problem as the other boostrap error (where
certain .elc files remain and cause problems).

Does this look familiar to anyone?

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp'
/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs
/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp; \
for file in calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus international
language mail mh-e net obsolete play progmodes
term textmodes toolbar url; do \
   /cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs $file; \
done;
Directories: calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus
international language mail mh-e net obsolete play progmodes
 term textmodes toolbar url
"./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l
autoload \
        --eval '(setq find-file-hook nil \
                find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t \
                generated-autoload-file \
                  "/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' \
        -f batch-update-autoloads /cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp
calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus in
ternational language mail mh-e net obsolete play progmodes term
textmodes toolbar url
Cannot open load file: encoded-kb
Signal 127
make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp'

----

Guy

--
Guy Gascoigne - Piggford
www.wyrdrune.com

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-08  8:40 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-11-08  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Guy Gascoigne-Piggford <guy@wyrdrune.com> writes:

> Doing a make bootstrap I've started getting an error loading
> encoded-kb.  This is in a completely fresh directory tree, so I don't
> think that this is the same problem as the other boostrap error (where
> certain .elc files remain and cause problems).
>
> Does this look familiar to anyone?
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp'

This is the Cygwin make problem that is mentioned in nt/INSTALL, and
was discussed last week. Please try the patch Stefan posted in the
thread "autoload failure" (I don't seem to have the message anymore,
but you should be able to find it in the archive on lists.gnu.org). We
are still waiting for someone to report whether it works or not on
Cygwin.

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-08  9:40   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-11-08  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford, Emacs Devel

> Guy Gascoigne-Piggford <guy@wyrdrune.com> writes:
>
>> Doing a make bootstrap I've started getting an error loading
>> encoded-kb.  This is in a completely fresh directory tree, so I don't
>> think that this is the same problem as the other boostrap error (where
>> certain .elc files remain and cause problems).
>>
>> Does this look familiar to anyone?
>>
>> make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp'
>
> This is the Cygwin make problem that is mentioned in nt/INSTALL, and
> was discussed last week. Please try the patch Stefan posted in the
> thread "autoload failure" (I don't seem to have the message anymore,
> but you should be able to find it in the archive on lists.gnu.org). We
> are still waiting for someone to report whether it works or not on
> Cygwin.

FWIW, setting buildlisppath to the real DOS path worked for me, i.e.

 > make buildlisppath=c:/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp

for the case above.  I don't know if there is a cygwin command to
convert a cygwin path to a DOS path, but if there is, this could be
done in the nt/makefile.

	Jan D.

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-08 10:20     ` Stephan Stahl
From: Stephan Stahl @ 2004-11-08 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford, Emacs Devel, Jason Rumney

Hi Jan.

Jan D. said:

> FWIW, setting buildlisppath to the real DOS path worked for me, i.e.
>
>  > make buildlisppath=c:/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp
>
> for the case above.  I don't know if there is a cygwin command to
> convert a cygwin path to a DOS path, but if there is, this could be
> done in the nt/makefile.

There is "cygpath" which can convert cygwin->dos (and back).

Stephan
--
Stephan Stahl

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-08 10:30     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-11-08 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford, Emacs Devel

Jan D. wrote:

>> Guy Gascoigne-Piggford <guy@wyrdrune.com> writes:
>>
>>> Doing a make bootstrap I've started getting an error loading
>>> encoded-kb.  This is in a completely fresh directory tree, so I don't
>>> think that this is the same problem as the other boostrap error (where
>>> certain .elc files remain and cause problems).
>>>
>>> Does this look familiar to anyone?
>>>
>>> make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp'
>>

>> This is the Cygwin make problem that is mentioned in nt/INSTALL, and
>> was discussed last week. Please try the patch Stefan posted in the
>> thread "autoload failure" (I don't seem to have the message anymore,
>> but you should be able to find it in the archive on lists.gnu.org). We
>> are still waiting for someone to report whether it works or not on
>> Cygwin.
>

> FWIW, setting buildlisppath to the real DOS path worked for me, i.e.
>
> > make buildlisppath=c:/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp
>
> for the case above.  I don't know if there is a cygwin command to
> convert a cygwin path to a DOS path, but if there is, this could be
> done in the nt/makefile.
>
>     Jan D.

We have tried that before, there are different versions of cygpath that
are command-line compatible so it causes more problems than it solves.
It would be far more useful to us if someone tried Stefan's patch
instead of suggesting other workarounds.

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-08 10:44       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-11-08 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford, Jan D., Emacs Devel

Jason Rumney wrote:

> there are different versions of cygpath that are command-line compatible

I meant incompatible, of course.

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-08 17:40       ` Jan D.
       [not found]         ` <029f01c4c5be$422cd8f0$0200a8c0@sedrcw11488>
From: Jan D. @ 2004-11-08 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford, Emacs Devel

Jason Rumney wrote:
> Jan D. wrote:

>> FWIW, setting buildlisppath to the real DOS path worked for me, i.e.
>>
>> > make buildlisppath=c:/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp
>>
>> for the case above.  I don't know if there is a cygwin command to
>> convert a cygwin path to a DOS path, but if there is, this could be
>> done in the nt/makefile.
>>
>>     Jan D.
>>
> We have tried that before, there are different versions of cygpath that
> are command-line compatible so it causes more problems than it solves.

Too bad, it is the most general solution, but I guess it is too cygwin
version specific.

Anyway, what I suggested is for a regular build only, for a bootstrap
one has to add lisp=c:/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp to the make command.

I think it is something worth adding to nt/INSTALL, it is a better
advice than "dont use cygwin make".  After all, Stefans patch only
handles the case where the cygwin prefix is just /cygdrive, which it
isn't for me, but I've changed it to that for the test.  I also have c:
and d: mounted on /c and /d respectively (I don't know how common that
is, but the cygwin documentation suggests it), so I don't use the cygwin
prefix paths, but for this test I did.

 > It would be far more useful to us if someone tried Stefan's patch
 > instead of suggesting other workarounds.

Stefans patch has a syntax error (one parentesis too many in
w32-cygdrive-run-real-handler), but apart from that, it fails with:

"./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l
autoload \
         --eval '(setq find-file-hook nil \
                 find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t \
                 generated-autoload-file \
                   "/cygdrive/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp/loaddefs.el")' \
         -f batch-update-autoloads /cygdrive/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp
calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus international language
mail mh-e net obsolete
  play progmodes term textmodes toolbar url
Wrong number of arguments: #<subr expand-file-name>, 3
Signal 127
make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp'
make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

That lisp section is a bit over my head, so I did not find an apparent fix.

	Jan D.

* Re: Boostrap error
       [not found]         ` <029f01c4c5be$422cd8f0$0200a8c0@sedrcw11488>
@ 2004-11-08 20:55           ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-11-08 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel, Jason Rumney

Lennart Borgman wrote:

> I have attached a version I sent to Emacs Devel earlier with some
> corrections to Stefans code. It also handles path like /c. I have tested it
> with MSYS which uses such paths, but I have not tested the build process
> yet. (Since it takes such a long time on this very old pc.)

If I cd to /cygdrive/d/src/emacs-cygwin and make bootstrap I get the old
message abount encoded-kb not found.

If I cd to /d/src/emacs-cygwin and make bootstrap I get:

"./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l
autoload \
         --eval '(setq find-file-hook nil \
                 find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t \
                 generated-autoload-file \
                   "/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp/loaddefs.el")' \
         -f batch-update-autoloads /d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp calc calendar
emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus international language mail mh-e net obsolete
play progmodes term textmodes toolbar url
handler expand-file-name (subdirs.el /:/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp)
Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
Signal 127
make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp'
make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

	Jan D.

[-- Attachment #2: cygdrive.el --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1325 bytes --]

;;; Try to handle the most common misuses of cygwin paths.
;;(defconst w32-cygdrive-name-regexp "\\`/cygdrive/\\(.\\)/")
(defconst w32-cygdrive-name-regexp "^\\(?:/cygwin\\)?/\\(.\\)/")
;;(defconst w32-cygdrive-name-regexp "^/\\(.\\)/")

(defun w32-cygdrive-run-real-handler (op args)
  (let ((inhibit-file-name-handlers
	 (cons 'w32-cygdrive-name-handler
	       (if (eq inhibit-file-name-operation op)
		   inhibit-file-name-handlers)))
	(inhibit-file-name-operation op))
    (apply op args)))

(defun w32-cygdrive-name-handler (op &rest args)
(message "handler %s %s" op args)
(case op
  (expand-file-name
   (let ((file (car args))
	 (cdrargs (cdr args)))
     (cond
      ((= 0 (string-match w32-cygdrive-name-regexp file))
       (w32-cygdrive-run-real-handler
	op (cons (replace-match "\\1:/" t nil file) cdrargs)))
      ((= 0 (string-match w32-cygdrive-name-regexp (car cdrargs)))
       (w32-cygdrive-run-real-handler
	op (list* file (replace-match "\\1:/" t nil (car cdrargs))
		  (cdr cdrargs))))
      ;; This is actually an error (we should never get here),
      ;; but let's be defensive.
      (t (w32-cygdrive-run-real-handler op args)))))
  (t (w32-cygdrive-run-real-handler op args))))

(push (cons w32-cygdrive-name-regexp 'w32-cygdrive-name-handler) file-name-handler-alist)
(find-file "/c/hello.txt/")

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-08 21:32             ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-11-08 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, Emacs Devel

"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> If I cd to /cygdrive/d/src/emacs-cygwin and make bootstrap I get the
> old message abount encoded-kb not found.

This is unrelated. If you build Emacs from the base directory using
Cygwin, then you get the Cygwin build of Emacs, where w32-fns.el is
not loaded. The Cygwin build should understand cygwin paths
automatically. To build a native Windows version of Emacs, you must
run configure and make bootstrap from emacs-cygwin/nt.

Judging by the messages you are getting though, you have run configure
from emacs-cygwin/nt most recently, and are trying to run make from
the base directory. It is not surprising that this is not working.

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-08 21:40               ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-11-08 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, Emacs Devel

> "Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
>> If I cd to /cygdrive/d/src/emacs-cygwin and make bootstrap I get the
>> old message abount encoded-kb not found.
>
> This is unrelated. If you build Emacs from the base directory using
> Cygwin, then you get the Cygwin build of Emacs, where w32-fns.el is
> not loaded. The Cygwin build should understand cygwin paths
> automatically. To build a native Windows version of Emacs, you must
> run configure and make bootstrap from emacs-cygwin/nt.
>
> Judging by the messages you are getting though, you have run configure
> from emacs-cygwin/nt most recently, and are trying to run make from
> the base directory. It is not surprising that this is not working.

No, I did make from the nt directory.

	Jan D.

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-09 18:52             ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2004-11-09 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jason Rumney, Emacs Devel

:
[...]

Please look at the regexp in the beginning of the file I attached before. I
was uncertain of whether to use "cygdrive" or "cygwin", I do not use Cygwin
myself. This can maybe explain the first error.

In the second case I am confused. I do not believe it can come from
w32-cygdrive-name-handler in the version I sent you since the first submatch
could not be empty. I searched the makefiles and the *.el files in the lisp
subdirectory. Could it maybe come from the following lines in startup.el?

    (dolist (dir load-path)
      (let ((default-directory dir))
         (load (expand-file-name "subdirs.el") t t t))
      (let ((default-directory dir))
         (load (expand-file-name "leim-list.el") t t t)))

Maybe you could just put in a (message "dir=%s" dir) as the first thing in
the dolist above in startup.el  and see what it says?

- Lennart

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-10  8:51               ` Jan D.
       [not found]                 ` <052d01c4c726$612d4d20$0200a8c0@sedrcw11488>
From: Jan D. @ 2004-11-10  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jason Rumney, Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman wrote:

> : handler expand-file-name (subdirs.el /:/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp)
> : Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
> : Signal 127
> : make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
> : make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp'
> : make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2
>
> Please look at the regexp in the beginning of the file I attached before. I
> was uncertain of whether to use "cygdrive" or "cygwin", I do not use Cygwin
> myself. This can maybe explain the first error.

It is cygdrive by default, but it really can be set to anything.  I don't use
cygwin either, I only got it installed so I could test the build process under
Windows.  I don't think I will spend any more time on this, I have other
things to do and Windows is not my preferred platform.  Besides, the solution
you are proposing only handles a special case, not the general case.  If it
where up to me, I'd let configure check if cygpath is usable, and if not,
require that the user supply the dos path to configure
(--dospath=c:/whatever/emacs) and use that for buildlisppath and lisp in the
makefiles for leim and lisp respectively.  But again, this is not my platform
of choice, so the ones working on this must do what they think is best.

	Jan D.

* Re: Boostrap error
       [not found]                 ` <052d01c4c726$612d4d20$0200a8c0@sedrcw11488>
@ 2004-11-10 14:12                   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-11-10 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

> : things to do and Windows is not my preferred platform.  Besides, the
> solution
> : you are proposing only handles a special case, not the general case.
>
> It was not my proposal, it was Stefan Monniers, but I liked it so I
> corrected some errors in the code he himself did not have time to
> test. But
> what do you mean with that it is a special case?

In cygwin you can change the prefix, it can be changed to any string.
The patch only handles the default /cygdrive.  I use /cyg myself.
Also, only single letter mounts that corresponds to DOS drives are
handeled (i.e. /d/src <=> d:/src).  But cygwin lets you mount paths
anywhere and multiple times.  I mount d:/src under /usr/src, so these
three paths go to the same directory:
   /cyg/d/src
   /d/src
   /usr/src

The possibilites are endless, so a simple regexp can not capture this
in the general case.

> :  If it
> : where up to me, I'd let configure check if cygpath is usable, and if
> not,
> : require that the user supply the dos path to configure
> : (--dospath=c:/whatever/emacs) and use that for buildlisppath and
> lisp in
> the
> : makefiles for leim and lisp respectively.  But again, this is not my
> platform
> : of choice, so the ones working on this must do what they think is
> best.
>
> Can you please explain what you mean more exactly? Are you using
> configure.bat in the nt subdir? Or configure in the main dir? What is
> dospath? Is it a proposal or does it exist?

Yes, I use configure.bat.  Dos path is the path DOS/Windows programs
use, like c:/windows.

This what I do:

cd /d/src/emacs-cygwin/nt
./configure.bat
make bootstrap lisp=d:/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp
buildlisppath=d:/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp

The last part is something that could be simplified, either by trying
to figure out the DOS path in configure.bat, or if that is not
possible, require that the user gives it to configure, something like:

./configure.bat --dospath=d:/src/emacs-cygwin

I then would not have to type the path twice on the command line,
configure.bat would add that last /lisp also and substitute this into
leim/makefile and lisp/makefile.  This works for any cygwin mount as
long as the DOS path is correct.

	Jan D.

* Re: Boostrap error
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-11-10 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, Emacs Devel

> In cygwin you can change the prefix, it can be changed to any string.
> The patch only handles the default /cygdrive.  I use /cyg myself.
> Also, only single letter mounts that corresponds to DOS drives are handeled
> (i.e. /d/src <=> d:/src).  But cygwin lets you mount paths anywhere and
> multiple times.  I mount d:/src under /usr/src, so these three paths go to
> the same directory:
>    /cyg/d/src
>    /d/src
>    /usr/src

> The possibilites are endless, so a simple regexp can not capture this in the
> general case.

cygwin-mount.el (or cygwin32-mount.el whichever is more recent) handles all
of that.

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-10 18:31                       ` Guy Gascoigne - Piggford
From: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford @ 2004-11-10 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

I've been slowly trying various solutions here trying to get things
building, my biggest problem has actually been lack of time rather than
lack of interest.

So, if cygwin-mount.el does all of this, why don't we use it?

Guy

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>In cygwin you can change the prefix, it can be changed to any string.
>>The patch only handles the default /cygdrive.  I use /cyg myself.
>>Also, only single letter mounts that corresponds to DOS drives are handeled
>>(i.e. /d/src <=> d:/src).  But cygwin lets you mount paths anywhere and
>>multiple times.  I mount d:/src under /usr/src, so these three paths go to
>>the same directory:
>>   /cyg/d/src
>>   /d/src
>>   /usr/src
>>

>>The possibilites are endless, so a simple regexp can not capture this in the
>>general case.
>>

>cygwin-mount.el (or cygwin32-mount.el whichever is more recent) handles all
>of that.
>

>        Stefan

* Re: Boostrap error
@ 2004-11-10 23:53                         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2004-11-10 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs Devel

I did not know of cygwin-mount.el (or maybe I had forgotten). I searched for
the file and the most recent I found as far as I understand it is on
http://www.emacswiki.org/. It is from jan this year and there seem to have
been rather many persons contributing to it. It is GPL and have the rather
common remark "This file is *NOT* (yet?) part of GNU Emacs".

There is a remark in the file that it also works with some versions of MinGW
which I suppose should be MSYS. It works for me with MSYS (though I have not
tested building Emacs with this yet). A nice thing with MSYS is that
gnuclient can work with MSYS sh since it translates MSYS style path to ms
windows style path (which gnuclient uses internally for file name
expansion).

If it works for the build process it could probably save time and confusion.

- Lennart

> I've been slowly trying various solutions here trying to get things
> building, my biggest problem has actually been lack of time rather than
> lack of interest.
>
> So, if cygwin-mount.el does all of this, why don't we use it?
>
> Guy
>
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >cygwin-mount.el (or cygwin32-mount.el whichever is more recent) handles
all
> >of that.

* Re: Boostrap error
       [not found]                 ` <052d01c4c726$612d4d20$0200a8c0@sedrcw11488>
@ 2004-11-11 20:35                 ` Guy Gascoigne-Piggford
From: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford @ 2004-11-11 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Well this is strange:

I'm using that patch, using this as the pattern:

(defconst w32-cygdrive-name-regexp "\\`\\(?:/cygdrive\\)?/\\(.\\)/")

If I run make I get:
---

"./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l
autoload \
        --eval '(setq find-file-hook nil \
                find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t \
                generated-autoload-file \
                  "/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' \
        -f batch-update-autoloads /cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp
calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus international language
mail mh-e net obsolete play progmodes term textmodes toolbar url
handler expand-file-name (subdirs.el /:/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp)
Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
Signal 127

---

But if I run that same command from the command line, it works, though
the initial output is different:

handler file-name-as-directory (/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp)
handler expand-file-name (/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/. nil)
handler expand-file-name (/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp nil)
handler expand-file-name
(/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el
c:/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp)
handler file-name-directory
(/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el)
handler expand-file-name (/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/ nil)
handler file-name-directory
(/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el)

I'm afraid that my lisp is appalling at best.  It looks to me that when
called from make, it take a different route even though the command line
is the same.  Very strange.

Guy

--
Guy Gascoigne - Piggford