From: David Ponce <david.ponce@wanadoo.fr>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: New easymenu behavior
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:28:17 +0000	[thread overview]

>> > What does your code do that did not already break in Emacs 21.3?
>>
>>recentf simply uses (easy-menu-add-item nil '("files") ...) to add
>>the recentf menu into the "File" menu which is identified with the
>>'files key symbol. This worked well in 21.3 because the code just
>>interned "files" to get the key symbol.
>

> That appears very shaky.

I agree.

>>Notice that XEmacs directly use menu item names to locate them.  For
>>example you can use '("File") to locate the "File" menu in the menu
>>bar. Maybe is it a better mechanism to use in external libraries?
>

> Actually, that is all that I ever used with regard to easymenu.  It is
> probably a bad idea to create and manage menus by a mixture of direct
> accesses and easymenu.

recentf only uses easymenu not a mixture of direct access and easymenu.

How do you tell easy-menu-add-item to use menu item names instead of
internal names?  The following works with XEmacs but not with Emacs:

(easy-menu-add-item
  nil
  '("File")
  '("Submmenu"
    ["item1" ignore]
    ["item2" ignore]))

In Emacs it replaces all the "File" menu items with "Submenu", and
create another empty "File" entry in the menu bar.

But the following works as expected.

(easy-menu-add-item
  nil
  '("Files")