* Building Emacs with MinGW 64
@ 2018-02-10 21:10 Ruslan Bekenev
From: Ruslan Bekenev @ 2018-02-10 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello Everyone,
I'm currently trying to build Emacs from source on my Windows machine.

I have mingw 64 installed and when I'm running "config.bat msdos" I'm
getting error that DJGPP isn't installed. And it's truth actually.
Moreover after installation of DJGPP I've noticed its binaries cannot be
running on 64 bit system (can't I just find x64 version or is it not
exists?).

I also have found some build instructions in the web that use MSYS2
package. This is not what I want to use though.

Is there any workaround to build Emacs without DJGPP and MSYS2?

Excuse me if this is some kind of silly question or I've asked it in
wrong way... mailing lists are pretty new to me.

P.S.
I'm on Windows 10 64 bit building emacs from current master branch.

Ruslan Bekenev

* Re: Building Emacs with MinGW 64
@ 2018-02-11  1:42 ` Noam Postavsky
       [not found]   ` <87tvuh2kl3.fsf@russet.org.uk>
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2018-02-11  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruslan Bekenev; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Ruslan Bekenev <furyinbox@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also have found some build instructions in the web that use MSYS2 package.
> This is not what I want to use though.

You should look at the instructions that come with Emacs first. There
is nt/INSTALL for building with MSYS and mingw32 (I believe this can
only produce 32 bit binaries). nt/INSTALL.w64 describes building with
MSYS2 and mingw64 (this can produce both 64 bit and 32 bit binaries).

You don't explain exactly why you don't want to use MSYS2. Building
Emacs requires gcc, development libraries+headers and a bourne-shell
(or derivative like GNU bash) with standard Unix command line
utilities. MSYS and MSYS2 provide a simple packaged way of installing
these. The nt/INSTALL instructions explain how to install mingw32
separately from MSYS, but I don't know that you can avoid it entirely.

* Re: Building Emacs with MinGW 64
@ 2018-02-11  9:39   ` Ruslan Bekenev
       [not found]   ` <87tvuh2kl3.fsf@russet.org.uk>
From: Ruslan Bekenev @ 2018-02-11  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: Emacs developers

Thank you for the answer, Noam.

> You should look at the instructions that come with Emacs first.
Sure I did. But thank to your message I noticed NT folder which I've
missed.

> You don't explain exactly why you don't want to use MSYS2.
I'm just afraid it's another toolchain I have to keep on my system and I
have to make sure it's not conflicting with other. As far as I got MinGW
has GCC and Make and some other tools like sed, grep, sh, etc. So I
didn't get the point of using MSYS2.

But anyway, thank you again for your answer. I'll try to look deeper to
the MSYS2. I guess I've just misunderstood the purpose of msys.

* Re: Building Emacs with MinGW 64
@ 2018-02-13  8:02     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2018-02-13  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ruslan Bekenev <furyinbox@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for the answer, Noam.
>
>> You should look at the instructions that come with Emacs first.
> Sure I did. But thank to your message I noticed NT folder which I've
> missed.
>
>> You don't explain exactly why you don't want to use MSYS2.
> I'm just afraid it's another toolchain I have to keep on my system and
> I have to make sure it's not conflicting with other. As far as I got
> MinGW has GCC and Make and some other tools like sed, grep, sh, etc.
> So I didn't get the point of using MSYS2.
>
> But anyway, thank you again for your answer. I'll try to look deeper
> to the MSYS2. I guess I've just misunderstood the purpose of msys.

You are not alone; the msys and mingw websites do a terrible job of
explaining this.

Roughly, msys is for running bash scripts like configure, while mingw is
the runtime libraries.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Building Emacs with MinGW 64
@ 2018-02-13 15:47       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-02-13 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 02:02:57 -0600
>
> Roughly, msys is for running bash scripts like configure, while mingw is
> the runtime libraries.

MinGW is also the development tools: the compiler, the linker,
Binutils, etc.

@ 2018-02-16 12:19     ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2018-02-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: Ruslan Bekenev, Emacs developers

Noam Postavsky <npostavs@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Ruslan Bekenev <furyinbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I also have found some build instructions in the web that use MSYS2 package.
>> This is not what I want to use though.
>
> You should look at the instructions that come with Emacs first. There
> is nt/INSTALL for building with MSYS and mingw32 (I believe this can
> only produce 32 bit binaries). nt/INSTALL.w64 describes building with
> MSYS2 and mingw64 (this can produce both 64 bit and 32 bit binaries).
>
> You don't explain exactly why you don't want to use MSYS2. Building
> Emacs requires gcc, development libraries+headers and a bourne-shell
> (or derivative like GNU bash) with standard Unix command line
> utilities. MSYS and MSYS2 provide a simple packaged way of installing
> these. The nt/INSTALL instructions explain how to install mingw32
> separately from MSYS, but I don't know that you can avoid it entirely.

There are scripts in admin/nt/dist-build for the entire build based on
msys. They can produce both 64 and 32 binaries as well as packaging all
the dependencies, so you can move the final product independent of an
msys2 installation.

Phil