Kim F. Storm wrote: >Luc Teirlinck writes: > > >>Frank-Schmitt wrote: >> >> If this is necessary before a bootstrap, why doesn't bootstrap depend on >> maintainer-clean? >> >>It used to, but that was changed to make bootstrapping run faster at >>the expense of an occasional failure. (Personally, I believe that >>change was a mistake.) >> >> > >I agree that bootstrap should do maintainer-clean. > > I wasn't aware of the change so I was a bit confused by the original report. If you want to compile faster, use "make recompile" to recompile the .elc files followed by a normal "make". The cases where recompile is not enough and bootstrap is really necessary are probably the same cases of "occasional failure" above.