* Question about new release of Emacs
@ 2004-09-01 14:20 Jan Buchal
From: Jan Buchal @ 2004-09-01 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I would like to ask you when a new stable version of Emacs will be
released. We develop Emacs speech interface for the blind and visually
impaired people and the cvs Emacs version has several features which are
very important for us. (Reading mode line information and socket
communication for example.)

Thank you for understanding.

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 224921679

* Re: Question about new release of Emacs
@ 2004-09-02 11:04 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-09-02 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Jan Buchal <buchal@brailcom.org> writes:

> I would like to ask you when a new stable version of Emacs will be
> released. We develop Emacs speech interface for the blind and
> visually impaired people and the cvs Emacs version has several
> features which are very important for us. (Reading mode line
> information and socket communication for example.)
>
> Thank you for understanding.

If you really need something, there is little you can do except
checkout a particular version from CVS.  You can try taking a look at
the ChangeLogs of the last 4 weeks or so to find some version which
does not have bad bugs introduced and fixed shortly after the version.

As for the actual next release: we are ni feature freeze for 21.4, but
there are still various issues remaining.  My personal guess is that
chances are 50:50 it may appear in 2004.  But others will have other
opinions.  There are no fixed release dates or objectives: once the
developers feel that all problems have been addressed satisfactorily,
the release will happen.  There is no sense in releasing it before
that, and little sense to wait much longer after that.

* Re: Question about new release of Emacs
@ 2004-09-04  6:46   ` Kevin A. Burton
From: Kevin A. Burton @ 2004-09-04  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jan Buchal, emacs-devel

David Kastrup wrote:

> If you really need something, there is little you can do except
>
>checkout a particular version from CVS.  You can try taking a look at
>the ChangeLogs of the last 4 weeks or so to find some version which
>does not have bad bugs introduced and fixed shortly after the version.
>
>As for the actual next release: we are ni feature freeze for 21.4, but
>there are still various issues remaining.  My personal guess is that
>chances are 50:50 it may appear in 2004.  But others will have other
>opinions.  There are no fixed release dates or objectives: once the
>developers feel that all problems have been addressed satisfactorily,
>the release will happen.  There is no sense in releasing it before
>that, and little sense to wait much longer after that.

I can speak from a users perspective... the sooner the better... at
least for a beta ... I'd settle for a beta :)

I need to look at this socket interface... sounds REALLY interesting...
Hope it supports async IO!!!

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.