* next-error
@ 2004-08-24 16:35 Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-08-24 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I maintain a small package that calls next-error, which in Emacs 21.3
selected the source buffer in accordance with compilation-goto-locus's
doc string:

| Selects a window with point at SOURCE, with another window displaying ERROR.

But a user reports that in CVS Emacs (specifically, the July 9 snapshot
available at www.crasseux.com), next-error selects the *grep*
compilation buffer instead of the source buffer.  Is that true, and is
the change intentional?  If so, what is the right way to get the source
buffer after calling next-error now?

Kevin Rodgers

* Re: next-error
@ 2004-08-29 20:37 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2004-08-29 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
> I maintain a small package that calls next-error, which in Emacs 21.3
> selected the source buffer in accordance with compilation-goto-locus's
> doc string:
>
> | Selects a window with point at SOURCE, with another window displaying ERROR.
>
> But a user reports that in CVS Emacs (specifically, the July 9 snapshot
> available at www.crasseux.com), next-error selects the *grep*
> compilation buffer instead of the source buffer.  Is that true, and is
> the change intentional?  If so, what is the right way to get the source
> buffer after calling next-error now?

I have some changes not yet installed in CVS (I will install them in
the next few days) and one of them is changing the rules for finding
the appropriate source buffer for `next-error'.  Perhaps, this change
will fix your problem.  Could you provide more details about this case?
>From what buffer do you call `next-error'?  What was the command that
produced the last next-error capable buffer?  Maybe, you need to
change the rules in the `next-error-find-buffer' function?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: next-error
@ 2004-08-31 22:49   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-08-31 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juri Linkov wrote:
 > I have some changes not yet installed in CVS (I will install them in
 > the next few days) and one of them is changing the rules for finding
 > the appropriate source buffer for `next-error'.  Perhaps, this change
 > will fix your problem.  Could you provide more details about this case?

Sure.  Here's what the user reports while debugging my
igrep-next-error function (which contains a call to next-error):

	This just doesn't make sense to me. When I call next-error and
	then do a M-: (current-buffer) the correct source buffer is
	displayed as the current-buffer. However, when I capture the
	"current buffer" value after calling next-error from within
	igrep-next-error, it shows to be the *igrep* buffer.

 > From what buffer do you call `next-error'?

The problem occurs when the user calls next-error from any buffer
except the *igrep* compilation buffer.

 > What was the command that produced the last next-error capable
 > buffer?

Only one such command was executed, which calls compile-start in
exactly the same way as M-x grep does.

 > Maybe, you need to change the rules in the `next-error-find-buffer'
 > function?

Why?  IIUC that function is used to get the compilation buffer, not
the source buffer.  There doesn't seem to be a problem finding that
buffer, as it is highlighted by M-x next-error according to
compilation-start's HIGHLIGHT-REGEXP arg.

Kevin Rodgers