Richard Stallman wrote: >What will happen if the user deletes all the text in the editable field, >then inserts new text? Will that newly inserted text be treated >as part of a neighboring widget? It seems likely. > > You are right, zero-sized overlays cannot be ignored as I did. Such overlays should only go in overlays-after. This is done in the patch attached. >I don't think it is worth spending a lot of time to fix this, >because I think it is fundamentally impossible, and there are >more important things to do. > I don't see why it should be fundamentally impossible to fix this bug. AFAICS a widget cannot have zero size, and if it has a zero-sized overlay at one end, it is at the start. I want to fix this bug because it annoys me in some tests I am doing. I suggest we install my patch. It can always be removed if it has undesirable consequences. >For instance, would you be interested >in working on making saving of text properties in files more >convenient? That is more important. > I would be happy to work much more on Emacs. However, that requires someone to finance it :-). Right now I don't have the time :-(.