I can look at the options here at a later point. I haven't had much time to think about the future, given that I've assumed the Flycheck maintenance relatively soon. My short-term focus is harvesting some low-hanging fruit (like the package inclusion on NonGNU ELPA). Compiling a reasonable long-term vision for the future (including some form of built-in interop with Flymake) will take some time and I think it'd better to discuss this separately. > On 21/02/2024 23:19, Stefan Kangas wrote: > > > Another thing is that we could use a good built-in macro to define > > flymake backends. > > > > Perhaps Steve Purcell (added to CC) could be convinced to contribute his > > excellent flymake-flycheck[2] and flymake-easy[3] packages to core? > > This would kill two (or more) birds with one stone, and also remove some > > of the gripes that some users have with flymake. > > There doesn't seem much point in having flymake-flycheck in the core > when flycheck is still required to use most of its backends (they're > part of the package). It also depends on flycheck at runtime anyway. > > flymake-easy has another problem: IIUC it hasn't been updated for 10 > years, and as such only uses the obsolete Flymake protocol (one we keep > in flymake-proc.el for compatibility). It also employs defadvice. > > Back to flymake-flycheck, I wonder if it would be a better idea to have > it as part of the flycheck package itself (fewer things to install and > enable separately). But then it's not obvious at which point the > checkers should be made available to flymake. If that happens when > flycheck-mode is enabled, that would be too late: at that point the user > has seemingly indicated that they want to use flycheck as UI as well. > > > [2] https://github.com/purcell/flymake-flycheck > > > > [3] https://github.com/purcell/flymake-easy > > >