* emacsclient on W32
@ 2003-06-10 13:54 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-10 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are server.el and emacsclient working under W32 ?

* Re: emacsclient on W32
@ 2003-06-10 14:14 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-06-10 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Are server.el and emacsclient working under W32 ?

AFAIK no, because it uses Unix domain Sockets, which are unavailable
on W32, and when someone tried to change it to use TCP sockets it was
changed back because of security concerns.

The hacked versions of gnuserv floating around that do work on W32
use either TCP, or some W32 specific communication mechanism.

* Re: emacsclient on W32
@ 2003-06-10 14:41   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-10 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier

> > Are server.el and emacsclient working under W32 ?
>
> AFAIK no, because it uses Unix domain Sockets, which are unavailable
> on W32, and when someone tried to change it to use TCP sockets it was
> changed back because of security concerns.

Has anybody tried to figure out how to deal with the security
concerns ?  It seems to me a "beware this is dangerous" is better
than a "sorry, doesn't work".

> The hacked versions of gnuserv floating around that do work on W32
> use either TCP, or some W32 specific communication mechanism.

Why both ?  Is there some advantage to one over the other ?
How do they deal with security issues ?

* Re: emacsclient on W32
@ 2003-06-10 14:59     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-06-10 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>The hacked versions of gnuserv floating around that do work on W32
>>use either TCP, or some W32 specific communication mechanism.
>
> Why both ?

Several different hacks exist. Each hack has its own replacement
for unix domain sockets.

>  Is there some advantage to one over the other ?

The TCP version is cross-platform. The mailslot version is
more secure as it can't be used remotely. Some also consider
this a disadvantage.

> How do they deal with security issues ?

They don't.