Eli Zaretskii wrote: >On 23 Apr 2002, Miles Bader wrote: > >>Ben Wing writes: >> >>>the fact is that things work quite well when you have only a meta key. >>>e.g. meta+letter is an accelerator only when such a menu exists; >>>otherwise, you get the regular binding -- and even then you can >>>retrieve the shadowed binding with shift+meta+letter. >>> >>Do people really like this? >> > >I don't. One ``feature'' that particularly annoys me is that, as Ben >described, pressing Alt alone and then releasing it activates the menu >bar. So if I press Alt and then change my mind, I need to remember to >type ESC or something similar before I can type text again. That's a >real dumper on fast typing. > this is only on for windows, and you can turn this off, of course. > > >>It sounds astonishly annoying to have >>random meta keys stolen by the menus, especially since emacs has many >>useful and common commands on M-letter keys. E.g., doesn't the `File' >>menu steal `M-f', the `Buffers' menu `M-b', etc.? >> > >I think such a mode is inappropriate for Emacs because our menu bar can >change dynamically as a function of what you type. So in Emacs, what >keys will be stolen is not entirely predictable, which makes this even a >worse idea, IMHO. > >I'd suggest to find a modifier other than Meta, and use that instead. >Something like Super or Hyper, for example; we support them on Windows as >well. For tty's, we could have some prefix key instead. > you guys are so X-centric in your thinking. there is no other key in Windows, really. people *always* expect the Alt key to traverse to menus, and it's no exception here. as i said before [but it got purposely chopped off], most of the shadowed keys are available elsewhere -- M-f is also Ctrl-right, M-b is Ctrl-left, M-v [the View menu] is Next, etc. Furthermore, those arrow/cursor-key bindings are more intuitive, and more standard, than the old-style Emacs bindings. i designed things intentionally so they most all work like this. > > >_______________________________________________ >Emacs-devel mailing list >Emacs-devel@gnu.org >http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-devel >