On Sep 29, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote: > On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 20:56, chad wrote: >> On Sep 29, 2011, at 3:49 AM, Richard Stallman wrote: >>> >>> Perhaps because you wanted to go to the other side of it with C-x C-x, >>> is the usual reason in my case. […] >> >> […] The C-x C-x case happens to me also, but rarely, and I find that >> `C-x C-x C-x C-x' is comfortable enough in those cases. > How repeating C-x C-x helps you to deactivate region (and thus help it > to survive after DEL)? In my case it still to be activated regardless > on the amount of "C-x C-x" repeatings. My apologies; I was still using some experimental code that deactivated the region on any C-x C-x but the first (as a side-effect to allowing a prefix arg to toggle transient-mark-mode). Mea culpa. > About "rarely": do you understand that now, with current defaults, it > is only one way to safe using DEL in the macro -- explicitly mark the > intended to be deleted character by region and only then delete it? > Otherwise there my occur already activated region and you will delete > not the single character but the whole half of buffer. Just by > occasion and the Murphy Law. I assume that you mean keyboard macro here, yes? This usage had not occurred to me, as I use elisp far more often than keyboard macros, and don't use macros for destructive things like DEL. Perhaps this is why the new code works on delete-char-forward and delete-char-backward but explicitly not delete-char? (I admit that I was puzzled by that choice.) *Chad