On Oct 4, 2011, at 5:23 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > > But it's like ImageMagick support. Does displaying images inside Emacs > give you a better experience? I think it does. And I have a feeling > the same would be the case with sound support. I suspect that it's the `browsing' versus `working with' difference; I find image viewing in Emacs to be very useful for looking through things that contain images, but I've never really missed the ability to crop, rotate, zoom, etc -- although those would be neat, I haven't really wanted them. There is a big UX difference between using emacs to manage a music collection, adding ui sounds to gnus, and using emacs to figure out that sound/892794.ogg is `ding' while sound/234676.ogg is `quack'. I don't know that EMMS benefits much from internal players, or that a software replacement for the dectalk is interesting. I imagine that many emacs hackers would hate sounds in gnus (look at how many disable the bell), but I suspect many of the newer users would like it (I've actually turned them back on in my non-Emacs email environment, because I like to hear when mail has actually been sent). I imagine most people either don't care or would like to have emacs' help browsing sound files in dired. I hope that this musing hasn't been entirely useless. :-) *Chad