* Re: [elpa] externals/vertico 5bbddb0 03/48: add while-no-input-ignore-events
       [not found] ` <20210405145439.787C5209C7@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-04-05 15:08   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-04-05 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mendler; +Cc: emacs-devel

>     add while-no-input-ignore-events
>     Thanks, @clemera
[...]
>    "Preprocess candidates with INPUT string and METADATA."
> -  (pcase (while-no-input (minicomp--candidates input metadata))
> +  (pcase (let ((while-no-input-ignore-events '(selection-request)))
> +           (while-no-input (minicomp--candidates input metadata)))

I don't understand why you do that.
Was the intention to add `selection-request` to `while-no-input-ignore-events`,
or to remove everything else from it (which is what it does)?
If so, why?

* Re: [elpa] externals/vertico 5bbddb0 03/48: add while-no-input-ignore-events
@ 2021-04-05 18:02     ` Daniel Mendler
From: Daniel Mendler @ 2021-04-05 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I don't understand why you do that.
> Was the intention to add `selection-request` to `while-no-input-ignore-events`,
> or to remove everything else from it (which is what it does)?
> If so, why?

Icomplete does the same, but I am not sure about all the implications of
this setting. The setting is supposed to ignore certain spurious events
which would prevent the UI from updating.

Generally the idea is that the expensive candidate recomputation and
expensive sorting (vertico--recompute-candidates) is interruptible, such
that the UI stays responsive. The computation is started again when the
next event comes in.

* Re: [elpa] externals/vertico 5bbddb0 03/48: add while-no-input-ignore-events
@ 2021-04-05 19:02       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-04-05 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mendler; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I don't understand why you do that.
>> Was the intention to add `selection-request` to `while-no-input-ignore-events`,
>> or to remove everything else from it (which is what it does)?
>> If so, why?
> Icomplete does the same, but I am not sure about all the implications of
> this setting.

Oh I see.  This is bug#38024.  Thanks.
I just sent a message to that bug, you might like to see what comes out.

> Generally the idea is that the expensive candidate recomputation and
> expensive sorting (vertico--recompute-candidates) is interruptible, such
> that the UI stays responsive. The computation is started again when the next
> event comes in.

That describes the use of `while-no-input`, which I perfectly
understand, but that doesn't explain the `while-no-input-ignore-events`
binding around it which will (IIUC) make it abort whenever you focus
in/out, for example.

* Re: [elpa] externals/vertico 5bbddb0 03/48: add while-no-input-ignore-events
@ 2021-04-05 19:25         ` Daniel Mendler
From: Daniel Mendler @ 2021-04-05 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Oh I see.  This is bug#38024.  Thanks.
> I just sent a message to that bug, you might like to see what comes out.

Thank you, I will monitor this bug and update Vertico if necessary.