* GPM in emacs does not work?
@ 2009-02-07 14:27 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-02-07 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

Emacs does not receive GPM events, even if it is compiled with -lpgm (HAVE_GPM = 1), and (gpm-mouse-start) does not return error.

GPM in Midnight Commander works. Should GPM work in emacs? I met breakpoints in the places where the gpm event should be caught, and it does not catch any.

Can somebody help me please? I remember that it worked 1 year ago.

Ecoutez le dernier single de U2 "Get on your boots" sur http://musiline.voila.fr !

* Re: GPM in emacs does not work?
@ 2009-02-08 10:09 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2009-02-08 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: emacs-devel

A. Soare writes:
 > Emacs does not receive GPM events, even if it is compiled with -lpgm (HAVE_GPM = 1), and (gpm-mouse-start) does not return error.

It seems to be due to this change:

1.974        (monnier  12-Sep-08):       if (gpm < 0)
1.974        (monnier  12-Sep-08): 	/* Presumably the GPM daemon has closed the connection.  */
1.974        (monnier  12-Sep-08): 	close_gpm ();

in tty_read_avail_input of keyboard.c.  I don't understand it because the GPM
manual says about Gpm_GetEvent:

  It returns 1 on success, -1 on failure, and 0 after closing the connection.

The ChangeLog entry says:

	* keyboard.c (tty_read_avail_input): Forcefully close the gpm
	connection if Gpm_GetEvent fails.

Perhaps Stefan can shed some light.

* Re: GPM in emacs does not work?
@ 2009-02-08 14:15 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-02-08 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

I need the gpm to work for one patch that I send next week.

Please, can somebody solve this bug of GPM?

@ 2009-02-08 20:27   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-08 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: alinsoar, emacs-devel

>> Emacs does not receive GPM events, even if it is compiled with -lpgm (HAVE_GPM = 1), and (gpm-mouse-start) does not return error.

> Perhaps Stefan can shed some light.

It's all in http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=407
There's a suggested patch by Kevin Ryde, but I haven't had any time to
look at it, let alone try it.