* Scroll bars on macOS builds
@ 2021-12-31 21:58 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2021-12-31 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It seems I do not see the scroll bars on macOS builds even if in my init.el I have (for a long time)

(horizontal-scroll-bar-mode 1)

also the vertical bar is absent and with buffers with a lot of lines the only way to know in which "position" one is along the buffer is to read the indication on the mode line, xy%.

Being a GUI build, one expects to get a GUI indication of this, with the vertical scroll bar, for example...

I build master monthly on macOS 10.13.6, the last version I can use on this MBP, and configuring with

./configure --with-ns \
            --without-dbus \
            --without-pop \
            --with-modules

Happy New Year!

Ciao,
 Angelo.

* Re: Scroll bars on macOS builds
@ 2022-01-02 14:20 ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2022-01-02 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 10:58:51PM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> It seems I do not see the scroll bars on macOS builds even if in my
> init.el I have (for a long time)
>
> (horizontal-scroll-bar-mode 1)
>
> also the vertical bar is absent and with buffers with a lot of lines
> the only way to know in which "position" one is along the buffer is
> to read the indication on the mode line, xy%.

It looks fine here. Do you see the scroll bars if you run "emacs -Q"?
--
Alan Third

* Re: Scroll bars on macOS builds
@ 2022-01-02 18:41   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2022-01-02 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Il 02/01/2022 15:20 Alan Third ha scritto:
>

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 10:58:51PM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> > It seems I do not see the scroll bars on macOS builds even if in my
> > init.el I have (for a long time)
> >
> > (horizontal-scroll-bar-mode 1)
> >
> > also the vertical bar is absent and with buffers with a lot of lines
> > the only way to know in which "position" one is along the buffer is
> > to read the indication on the mode line, xy%.
>
> It looks fine here. Do you see the scroll bars if you run "emacs -Q"?

No, see Emacs-Q.png in the tarball. I started Emacs with

cd /MyApps/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS
./Emacs -Q

The other image (Emacs-Dock.png) in the tarball refers to Emacs started from the Dock.

Emacs was built this morning from master (01615b24da97bdb5cc4eaec5792da8238dab9942). See my OP for configure options used. My build script creates a tarbal with the Emacs.app folder which I then install in /MyApps. As I wrote the OS is 10.13.6.

I think I had scroll bars in previous builds. For this reason I had put

(horizontal-scroll-bar-mode 1)

in my init.el. But, now, I have lost the tarball for old build and I cannot check them.

[-- Attachment #2: emacs-screenshots.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 78225 bytes --]

* Re: Scroll bars on macOS builds
@ 2022-01-04 11:08     ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2022-01-04 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Jan 02, 2022 at 07:41:38PM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> > Il 02/01/2022 15:20 Alan Third ha scritto:
> >

> > On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 10:58:51PM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> > > It seems I do not see the scroll bars on macOS builds even if in my
> > > init.el I have (for a long time)
> > >
> > > (horizontal-scroll-bar-mode 1)
> > >
> > > also the vertical bar is absent and with buffers with a lot of lines
> > > the only way to know in which "position" one is along the buffer is
> > > to read the indication on the mode line, xy%.
> >
> > It looks fine here. Do you see the scroll bars if you run "emacs -Q"?
>
> No, see Emacs-Q.png in the tarball. I started Emacs with
>
> cd /MyApps/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS
> ./Emacs -Q
>
> The other image (Emacs-Dock.png) in the tarball refers to Emacs started from the Dock.
>
> Emacs was built this morning from master (01615b24da97bdb5cc4eaec5792da8238dab9942). See my OP for configure options used. My build script creates a tarbal with the Emacs.app folder which I then install in /MyApps. As I wrote the OS is 10.13.6.
>
> I think I had scroll bars in previous builds. For this reason I had put
>
> (horizontal-scroll-bar-mode 1)
>
> in my init.el. But, now, I have lost the tarball for old build and I cannot check them.

Do the scrollbars work if you click where they should be?

Can you try loading a theme with a dark background (wombat, for
example)? They might be displaying as white on white. I don't think
they should do that themselves, but I have seen that sort of thing
before.

Failing that, do they ever appear? For example when resizing the
frame do they flicker in and out of existence or anything?

--
Alan Third

* Re: Scroll bars on macOS builds
@ 2022-01-04 14:29       ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2022-01-04 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Il 04/01/2022 12:08 Alan Third ha scritto:
>

> On Sun, Jan 02, 2022 at 07:41:38PM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> > > It looks fine here. Do you see the scroll bars if you run "emacs -Q"?
> >
> > No, see Emacs-Q.png in the tarball. I started Emacs with
> >
> > cd /MyApps/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS
> > ./Emacs -Q
> >
> > The other image (Emacs-Dock.png) in the tarball refers to Emacs started from the Dock.
> >
> > Emacs was built this morning from master (01615b24da97bdb5cc4eaec5792da8238dab9942). See my OP for configure options used. My build script creates a tarbal with the Emacs.app folder which I then install in /MyApps. As I wrote the OS is 10.13.6.
> >
> > I think I had scroll bars in previous builds. For this reason I had put
> >
> > (horizontal-scroll-bar-mode 1)
> >
> > in my init.el. But, now, I have lost the tarball for old build and I cannot check them.
>
> Do the scrollbars work if you click where they should be?

I did this test a few days ago and it looks as if the scroll bars are "hidden"... This seems to confirm I had them in old builds..

> Can you try loading a theme with a dark background (wombat, for
> example)? They might be displaying as white on white. I don't think
> they should do that themselves, but I have seen that sort of thing
> before.
>
> Failing that, do they ever appear? For example when resizing the
> frame do they flicker in and out of existence or anything?

..I cannot do other tests because the MBP had the battery that was growing up so I had to take it to maintenance.. :-(

It will be a while before I get back to using it. (I asked also to change the HD into SSD..)

@ 2022-01-12  0:12       ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2022-01-12  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Il 04/01/2022 12:08 Alan Third ha scritto:
>
> Do the scrollbars work if you click where they should be?

It looks as if they are hidden, at least for what would be the vertical scroll bar...

> Can you try loading a theme with a dark background (wombat, for
> example)? They might be displaying as white on white. I don't think
> they should do that themselves, but I have seen that sort of thing
> before.

No, I tried wombat all the other themes.

> Failing that, do they ever appear? For example when resizing the
> frame do they flicker in and out of existence or anything?

No, no flicker nor scroll bars...

This is the summary of configure output:

Configured for 'x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    .
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               clang -O2
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             no
    (The GNU allocators don't work with this system configuration.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    nextstep
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
  Does Emacs use a png library?                           yes -L/opt/local/lib -lpng16
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lwebp?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lsqlite3?                               yes
  Does Emacs use cairo?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -llcms2?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use imagemagick?                             no
  Does Emacs use native APIs for images?                  yes (ns)
  Does Emacs support sound?                               no
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 no
  Does Emacs use GSettings?                               no
  Does Emacs use a file notification library?             yes (kqueue)
  Does Emacs use access control lists?                    yes
  Does Emacs use -lselinux?                               no
  Does Emacs use -lgnutls?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lxml2?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
  Does Emacs use HarfBuzz?                                no
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lsystemd?                               no
  Does Emacs use -ljansson?                               yes
  Does Emacs use the GMP library?                         no
  Does Emacs directly use zlib?                           yes
  Does Emacs have dynamic modules support?                yes
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes
  Does Emacs support Xwidgets?                            no
  Does Emacs have threading support in lisp?              yes
  Does Emacs support the portable dumper?                 yes
  Does Emacs support legacy unexec dumping?               no
  Which dumping strategy does Emacs use?                  pdumper
  Does Emacs have native lisp compiler?                   no
  Does Emacs use version 2 of the the X Input Extension?  no