I tried building a very recent version of emacs from CVS (actually from the git mirror at git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git) on Vista, and it fails as you can see in the attachment. The very same commit builds and runs fine on XP. Any idea what's wrong? I started with a very clean directory, by which I mean: I ran "git-clean -dxf", which deletes all files that aren't known to git; and I ran "git status" to ensure that all of the remaining files were identical to their versions in the repository. The executive summary is: Compiling gnus/nnvirtual.el In toplevel form: gnus/nnvirtual.el:34:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: \300\214\300\214 ... and many similar mysterious errors during byte-compilation.