* Implementing something like codenavigation in slickedit
@ 2007-09-18 14:46 TheLonelyStar
From: TheLonelyStar @ 2007-09-18 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Hello,

I saw this:
http://www.slickedit.com/demo/high/CodeNavigation/CodeNavigation.html
and thought: I need something like this!
My Idea: By some keystroke, the current position is remembered. By some
other keystroke the position gets restored. Like this:

(defun codenav-remember-pos ()
  "Remember the current position"
  (setq codenav-buffer (current-buffer))
  (setq codenav-position (point)))

(defun codenav-restore-pos ()
  "Restore the position"
  (switch-to-buffer codenav-buffer)
  (goto-char codenav-position))

Problem: If I am editing the same buffer as the stored position, it is not
restored correct because the "point" has changed.
Have got an Idea on how to do this?

Thanks
Nathan

PS: If something like this already exits (I have found none), I also would
be interested.

* Re: Implementing something like codenavigation in slickedit
@ 2007-09-18 15:20 ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-09-18 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TheLonelyStar; +Cc: Emacs-devel

Hi,

On 9/18/07, TheLonelyStar <nabble@lonely-star.org> wrote:
> Problem: If I am editing the same buffer as the stored position, it is not
> restored correct because the "point" has changed.
> Have got an Idea on how to do this?

Try point-to-register and register-to-point

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: Implementing something like codenavigation in slickedit
@ 2007-09-18 15:24 ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2007-09-18 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TheLonelyStar; +Cc: emacs-devel

> My Idea: By some keystroke, the current position is remembered. By some
> other keystroke the position gets restored. Like this:

See the "bookmark" library, as well as just C-u C-@ (which is what I
usually use).

> Problem: If I am editing the same buffer as the stored position, it is not
> restored correct because the "point" has changed.
> Have got an Idea on how to do this?

What you would need to make it work (if it weren't already implemented in
various ways) is a "marker" (see the Emacs Lisp manual).

Davis

shipping.