* use local emacs server from remote systems
@ 2013-10-06 13:47 Thomas Koch
From: Thomas Koch @ 2013-10-06 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I've read a blog post that describes how to use a local emacs server with tcp
from remote systems[1]. Unfortunately the provided scripts from the blog only
work with emacs 24. And the described setup is too insecure to be used with
untrusted remote systems.

[1] http://blog.habnab.it/blog/2013/06/25/emacsclient-and-tramp/

Are there more people experimenting in this direction? I thought it would help
a lot if emacs server could handle different tcp authentication tokens with
different levels of privileges. Thus a remote system with an unprivileged token
could just cause the visiting of a file and nothing more.

Each token could be associated with additional information about how tramp can
open files on the remote system: IP adress, user name, password, proxy, ...

Unfortunately I've not yet learned elisp, so I could not yet hack myself on
this.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch

* Re: use local emacs server from remote systems
@ 2013-10-06 15:55 ` chad
From: chad @ 2013-10-06 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Koch; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 06 Oct 2013, at 06:47, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:

> I've read a blog post that describes how to use a local emacs server with tcp
> from remote systems[1].

The article seems to think that emacsclient and tramp don't work
together, but they do. I'd suggest looking at the tramp user manual,
either at:

	http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/

or inside emacs: C-h i d m Tramp RET

I'll also say that emacs 24 came out over a year ago, emacs 24.3 came out 6+ months ago, and I really hope it isn't a barrier to adoption for anyone.

I hope that helps,
~Chad