* time for bugzilla?
@ 2007-10-19 18:51 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-19 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Looks like it is time for bugzilla, as without bug numbers bugs are
slipping through, not getting fixed.

How could emacs be different than other packages that get lots of bugs
and sooner or later end up needing a bug numbering and tracking system?

Of course I resent bugzilla: unfriendly those who have costly metered
connections or those who like email and don't wish to use a browser.
So perhaps consider the perl.org style request-tracker system.

Or better yet, just fix my bug: fill instead of wrap the first line of
(describe-function
 'font-lock-match-c-style-declaration-item-and-skip-to-next)
(describe-variable
 'flyspell-dictionaries-that-consider-dash-as-word-delimiter)
or other long names. View on a standard 80 column terminal.

* Re: time for bugzilla?
@ 2007-10-19 21:40 ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2007-10-19 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Or better yet, just fix my bug: fill instead of wrap the first line of
> (describe-function
>  'font-lock-match-c-style-declaration-item-and-skip-to-next)
> (describe-variable
>  'flyspell-dictionaries-that-consider-dash-as-word-delimiter)
> or other long names. View on a standard 80 column terminal.

Is what you want really as simple as this?

*** help-fns.el	09 Oct 2007 08:37:42 -0600	1.101
--- help-fns.el	19 Oct 2007 15:39:57 -0600
***************
*** 336,341 ****
--- 336,343 ----
  	  (re-search-backward "`\\([^`']+\\)'" nil t)
  	  (help-xref-button 1 'help-function-def function file-name))))
      (princ ".")
+     (with-current-buffer standard-output
+       (fill-paragraph))
      (terpri)
      (when (commandp function)
        (if (and (eq function 'self-insert-command)
***************
*** 541,546 ****
--- 543,550 ----
  		  ;; (help-xref-on-pp from (point))
  		  (if (< (point) (+ from 20))
  		      (delete-region (1- from) from)))))
+ 	    (with-current-buffer standard-output
+ 	      (fill-paragraph))
  	    (terpri)

  	    (when locus

Davis

shipping.

* Re: time for bugzilla?
@ 2007-10-19 22:04   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-19 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

DH> Is what you want really as simple as this?
I think so. Cool. Thanks for fixing it.

* Re: time for bugzilla?
       [not found] <35624.128.165.123.18.1193251044.squirrel@webmail.lanl.gov>
@ 2007-10-24 19:08 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-24 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

There I was, smiling that my bug was fixed. But in the back of my mind
I had one little doubt,

DH> --- help-fns.el	19 Oct 2007 15:39:57 -0600
>> By the way, I trust your changes are written in the future emacs source
>> code and not just a suggestion to whoever reads that list? Thanks.

DH> Unfortunately, no -- I don't have write access.  I suggest that you write
DH> the list, include my patch, state that it fixes the problem (you have
DH> tested it, yes?), and ask that it be installed.  I could do most of that
DH> myself, but I can't say that I've tested it with your bug.

Can somebody please go up the thread a couple messages and do the
right thing?

Anyway, see, time for a bug tracker system. Told you all so.