* Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-07  9:04 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2005-10-07  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073

Hi All,

Attached you will find a new icon for Emacs.  This is just an idea, so
don't blame me for it, I am not an "artist" ;-)

There are two variants: with a transparent background (image names
with "-t" suffix), and with a light gray gradient background. Included
are 48x48 and 16x16 pixels images.  I can post the GIMP .xcf files if
needed.

These icons look nice on my KDE desktop ;-)

Sincerely,
David

[-- Attachment #2: /home/ponce/tmp/patches/emacs/emacs-icons.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-php, Size: 20480 bytes --]

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-07 14:23 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-07 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

> Attached you will find a new icon for Emacs.  This is just an idea, so

Not to be picky or anything (ahem), but really how did you end up deciding
to send those icons in the form of a tar.gz attachment rather than just
a few image attachment (which could then be readily viewed directly in any
normal MIME reader)?
And how did your tar.gz bundle end up labelled as application/x-php?

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-07 14:30   ` Michael Cadilhac
From: Michael Cadilhac @ 2005-10-07 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, david.ponce, emacs-devel

>> Attached you will find a new icon for Emacs.  This is just an idea, so
>
> Not to be picky or anything (ahem), but really how did you end up deciding
> to send those icons in the form of a tar.gz attachment rather than just
> a few image attachment (which could then be readily viewed directly in any
> normal MIME reader)?
> And how did your tar.gz bundle end up labelled as application/x-php?

  Hehe, not to mention that this is not a gunzip'ed file but just
  a tar ;-)

  Whatever! I really like these icons :-)

--
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  Please note that you should

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-07 14:37     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-10-07 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, david.ponce, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Michael Cadilhac wrote:

>>>Attached you will find a new icon for Emacs.  This is just an idea, so
>>>

>  Whatever! I really like these icons :-)

They look good with 24bit color. I wonder if they would still be
readable with 8 bit or lower displays though.

I don't see the value in adding the word "Emacs" to the icon. Icons
generally have the name of the program underneath or beside them anyway
(unless they are in the top left of a frame, in which case the frame's
titlebar should say what the program is), so it doesn't make sense to
duplicate this information in the icon itself.

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-07 19:05 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-07 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David PONCE wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Attached you will find a new icon for Emacs.  This is just an idea, so
>don't blame me for it, I am not an "artist" ;-)
>
>There are two variants: with a transparent background (image names
>with "-t" suffix), and with a light gray gradient background. Included
>are 48x48 and 16x16 pixels images.  I can post the GIMP .xcf files if
>needed.
>
>These icons look nice on my KDE desktop ;-)
>
>Sincerely,
>David

These are on the web now, on http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/NewIcons.html,
together with the Gimp sources that David sent me. Look after David on
the page.

They look very nice on w32 too. A very good finish. If you want to
reveal some secrets about this, David, I would like to learn...

Personally I would like that kind of finishing on my suggestions with
M-x. The small version Gian was kind to make for me is very good, but
the 48x48 of my M-x picture does not at all have this nice finishing.

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-07 23:07   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2005-10-07 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: david.ponce, emacs-devel

> Personally I would like that kind of finishing on my suggestions with
> M-x. The small version Gian was kind to make for me is very good, but
> the 48x48 of my M-x picture does not at all have this nice finishing.

IMHO, your M-x is the best icon among other suggestions.  It has no
drawbacks mentioned for other icons (has no duplicate word "Emacs"
with the program title, etc.)

This icon has good connotations: M-x symbolizes the state of Emacs
waiting for a command from the user, like the Emacs icon is waiting
from the user to click on it.  And the location of M-x on the icon
corresponds to the real location of M-x at the bottom of the Emacs
frame in the minibuffer that makes this icon the quintessence of the
Emacs display.

I have only one question with this icon.  The gnu head on the icon is
looking to the right, whereas the gnu on the original picture (on the
splash screen) is looking to the left.  Such difference causes a
discomforting feeling of the icon image being mistakenly mirrored.
Could you turn its head to the same direction?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-08  0:22     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-08  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: david.ponce, emacs-devel

Juri Linkov wrote:

>IMHO, your M-x is the best icon among other suggestions.  It has no

>I have only one question with this icon.  The gnu head on the icon is
>looking to the right, whereas the gnu on the original picture (on the
>splash screen) is looking to the left.  Such difference causes a
>discomforting feeling of the icon image being mistakenly mirrored.
>Could you turn its head to the same direction?

I could turn the head but that would make less space for M-x since M is
taller than x.

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-08  4:21   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-08  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: david.ponce, emacs-devel

I like these icons pretty well, but I sure would like to get advice
from someone who knows more about them than I do.

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-08 22:56       ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-08 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: juri, david.ponce, emacs-devel

I see no sense in an Emacs icon that would say "M-x".
If it says anything, it should be "Emacs" or an "E".
A picture of a GNU makes no sense as the icon for Emacs in
particular.

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-09  1:06         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-09  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: juri, david.ponce, emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>I see no sense in an Emacs icon that would say "M-x".
>If it says anything, it should be "Emacs" or an "E".
>A picture of a GNU makes no sense as the icon for Emacs in
>particular.

I believe that whether some special symbol in the icon make sense
depends on the circumstances. If something is wellknown I think other
rules should be applied then otherwise. For most of us here on the list
think that both M-x and the picture of the GNU make sense but for people
who are not that familiar with GNU or Emacs it might not do that
immidiately perhaps.

Since it seems to be somewhat difficult to find acceptable icons maybe
it helps if we think about what kind of icons we want. I see two main types:

1) Informative icons - those showing what the program does
2) Logo style icons - more like a logo for a company

And of course many are a mix of those. Some examples of this are the
logos for Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice etc. None of these include
the name in the icons. Instead the icons has a style that should be
easily recognizable. They all use some kind of symbolic memnonics
adhering to what the programs do. In the case of OpenOffice they had
been able to make several different icons with a common style for
different subprograms, each with a piece of common mnemonics and a bit
of dividing mnemonics.

In the case of Emacs perhaps the icon should use some mnemonic of this
kind. It is however not so easy to tell what this should allude to. Some
people might use Emacs for just creating documents. Other use it as a
programming IDE. And for those really into it Emacs does a lot of
things, mail, IRC, etc. Maybe it is a toolkit?

Another way of looking at this is to say that Emacs is different because
it has history and fame. It is part of the GNU face so to say. Looking
at it this way it is more a logo style icon we should have - probably
with some GNU picture. And "M-x" of course has some fame too (IMHO). You
have to know it to really use Emacs, of course. And M-x also alludes to
the toolkit view. This way of looking at the icons is reflected in the
current choice of splash screen.

Saying "Emacs" in the icon might seem to allude to the history and fame
too. It is just that to me it seems unnecessary. You will not often see
the icon without some text saying just "Emacs".

Well, you might guess my opinion ;-)  -- but I have tried to give our
choices some structure here. HTH.

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-09  2:20         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2005-10-09  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: juri, Lennart Borgman, david.ponce, emacs-devel

> I see no sense in an Emacs icon that would say "M-x".

Actually, "M-x" could reasonably be mispronounced as "Emacs"...

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-10  4:15           ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-10  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: juri, lennart.borgman.073, david.ponce, emacs-devel

    Actually, "M-x" could reasonably be mispronounced as "Emacs"...

That is cute.

The reason why using "M-x" does not appeal to me
is that I don't think of that as the central
feature of Emacs.  If someone asked me to name
the most important Emacs features, M-x wouldn't
make it on the list.

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-10  7:58   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-10-10  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> These are on the web now, on
> http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/NewIcons.html, together with the Gimp
> sources that David sent me. Look after David on the page.

> Personally I would like that kind of finishing on my suggestions with
> M-x. The small version Gian was kind to make for me is very good, but
> the 48x48 of my M-x picture does not at all have this nice finishing.

I like the ones using a gnu head best. I think that Emacs is a good
representative, if not the best, of the GNU project.

No offence intended, but most of the icons containing text are quite
ugly. IMHO, of course.

I'd vote for a icon of the "logo" type rather than the
"informative".

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-10 12:23             ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2005-10-10 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

   The reason why using "M-x" does not appeal to me
   is that I don't think of that as the central
   feature of Emacs.  ...

Indeed, "M-x" is designed for commands that do not have a short key
sequence.  It is for commands that are `left over' from frequent use.

I know I use a control command, like C-b, and a meta command, such as
M-f, much more frequently.

Indeed, when a command I use frequently does not have a shorter
keybinding already, I tend to bind it myself.  For example, I bound
`comment-out' to C-c ;

Not only is "M-x" misleading as an image, it is dangerous, since it
might lead a few novices to think that "M-x" should be used more often
than need be.

At least, with the image of a Gnu head, no novice is going to think
that Emacs is a Gnu, although they might wonder about the connection
between GNU Emacs and an operating system with a Linux kernel.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-10 13:02               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-10 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

> At least, with the image of a Gnu head, no novice is going to think
> that Emacs is a Gnu, although they might wonder about the connection
> between GNU Emacs and an operating system with a Linux kernel.

Please get your proselytizing module checked.  GNU is certainly not an
"operating system with a Linux kernel".  _GNU/Linux_ is a _variant_
(which happens to be more workable than "GNU proper" running off the
HURD) of the GNU operating system.

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-10 13:35               ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-10 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Robert J. Chassell wrote:

>   The reason why using "M-x" does not appeal to me
>   is that I don't think of that as the central
>   feature of Emacs.  ...
>
>Indeed, "M-x" is designed for commands that do not have a short key
>sequence.  It is for commands that are `left over' from frequent use.

I can not really argue against you, you are definitively more experts
than me on this. However I still think that M-x is a central feature. I
do not think of those commands that I do not have a key binding for in
my Emacs as "left overs". For me they are enhancements. And the ability
to write enhancements to Emacs is a central feature ... ;-)

On the other hand I like David's latest icon. Maybe the small icon could
be changed to just have an "E" instead of "Emacs" (which is a bit hard
to read on the 16x16 icon)?

* Re: Another Emacs icon
@ 2005-10-11  1:33                 ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2005-10-11  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   ... I do not think of those commands that I do not have a key
   binding for in my Emacs as "left overs".

My wording was poor.  I meant `used less frequently' -- remaining
after giving out the keybindings.

Thus, I use C-t (transpose-chars) and M-t (transpose-words) fairly
frequently, but transpose-sentences less frequently.

I agree ... the ability to write enhancements to Emacs is a central
feature ...