* ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-18  5:58 William Xue
From: William Xue @ 2007-09-18  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

in eshell, if the files listed by ls are too many to display in current
view of the buf, the prompt will scroll to the midle of it.

I encounted this issue in emacs-unicode-2 in windows xp and 22.0.91.1 in
ubuntu.

Is there something incorrect in my .emacs or a bug in eshell?

Thanks!

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-18 19:34 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-18 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xue; +Cc: emacs-devel

    in eshell, if the files listed by ls are too many to display in current
    view of the buf, the prompt will scroll to the midle of it.

Could you please send me a *precise* test case for this bug?  The test
case should start with `emacs -q', so that your .emacs file does not
affect it, and it should show exactly what text to put in the buffer,
what commands to execute, and how and where to click.  Also please say
exactly what incorrect results you get.

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-19  1:39   ` William Xue
From: William Xue @ 2007-09-19  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

OK, please let me descript what I have done step by step.

1. emacs -q
2. M-x eshell
3. ls
4. ls
5. do 'ls' to list the files, until the prompt reachs the bottom
6. ls, then the prompt will scroll to the half of a page. I think it
should be still stayed at the bottom.

If you do 'ls' in a path where has lots of files and can not be displayed
in one page, the prompt will
appear in the half of the page directly, instead of the bottom of the page.

Is it a intended behavior? If yes, how to disable the feature?

I asked this (a intended behavior?), because if I do the following:
1.  emacs -q
2. C-x C-f
3. then hit 'enter', 'enter'..... in the keyboard
it will do the same behavior as in eshell (scroll to the half of a page).

But after I set following in .emacs, it can scroll line by line.

  '(scroll-conservatively 10000)
  '(scroll-down-aggressively 0.01)
  '(scroll-margin 3)
  '(scroll-preserve-screen-position t)
  '(scroll-up-aggressively 0.01)

But the above settings did not effect the 'eshell'. And I could not get
help from *info* or the web
(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eshell/Smart-scrolling.html),
they are
empty.

At last, let me make clear my request, that is: how to scroll line by line
in eshell?

Thanks in advance!

@ 2007-09-19  3:32     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-19  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xue; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

"William Xue" wrote:

> At last, let me make clear my request, that is: how to scroll line
> by line in eshell?

(add-hook 'eshell-output-filter-functions 'eshell-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom)

I think this should be there by default (since there are variables to
control _how_ it scrolls, as for comint).

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-19  4:40       ` William Xue
From: William Xue @ 2007-09-19  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:32:35 +0800, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> "William Xue" wrote:
>
>> At last, let me make clear my request, that is: how to scroll line
>> by line in eshell?
>
> (add-hook 'eshell-output-filter-functions
> 'eshell-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom)

Thanks, it makes things closer.

Now, after hiting 'enter', the prompt is at the bottom, but when input a
letter, it will
move one or two line up.

@ 2007-09-19 15:49 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-19 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Can someone please DTRT, then ack?

He also said

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:39:02 +0800
To: rms@gnu.org
Subject: Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
From: "William Xue" <william.xue@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:39:02 +0800
To: rms@gnu.org
From: "William Xue" <william.xue@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

@ 2007-09-20  1:39         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-20  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xue; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

"William Xue" wrote:

>> (add-hook 'eshell-output-filter-functions
>> 'eshell-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom)
>
> Thanks, it makes things closer.
>
> Now, after hiting 'enter', the prompt is at the bottom, but when
> input a letter, it will move one or two line up.

Not for me (though maybe I don't understand what you mean).

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-20  7:43           ` William Xue
From: William Xue @ 2007-09-20  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:39:21 +0800, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> "William Xue" wrote:
>
>>> (add-hook 'eshell-output-filter-functions
>>> 'eshell-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom)
>>
>> Thanks, it makes things closer.
>>
>> Now, after hiting 'enter', the prompt is at the bottom, but when
>> input a letter, it will move one or two line up.
>
> Not for me (though maybe I don't understand what you mean).

You can see the different between e:\sc_tmp_13.png and e:\sc_tmp_14.png.

Thanks!

[-- Attachment #2: sc_tmp_13.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 19054 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: sc_tmp_14.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 17181 bytes --]

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-20  8:13             ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-20  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xue; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

"William Xue" wrote:

>>> Now, after hiting 'enter', the prompt is at the bottom, but when
>>> input a letter, it will move one or two line up.
[...]
> You can see the different between e:\sc_tmp_13.png and e:\sc_tmp_14.png.

Yes, I can. It doesn't do that for me though.

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-20  8:30               ` William Xue
From: William Xue @ 2007-09-20  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:13:39 +0800, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> You can see the different between e:\sc_tmp_13.png and e:\sc_tmp_14.png.
>
> Yes, I can. It doesn't do that for me though.

I found the issue only occured in the default 'emacs -q' started window.

After I changed the window size, it works very well.

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-21  3:00       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-21  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Can someone please DTRT, then ack?

I have DTRT on the trunk. Since it changes the behaviour, I'm inclined
to leave the release branch alone.

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-21 12:23                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xue; +Cc: rgm, emacs-devel

    I found the issue only occured in the default 'emacs -q' started window.

That is an important addition to the description of the test
case to reproduce the bug.  Thanks.

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-21 22:33         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-21 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    > Can someone please DTRT, then ack?

    I have DTRT on the trunk. Since it changes the behaviour, I'm inclined
    to leave the release branch alone.

The old behavior seems like a bug to me, so I think it should be fixed
in Emacs 22.

Do you think it is not a bug?

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-22  2:44           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-22  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> The old behavior seems like a bug to me, so I think it should be fixed
> in Emacs 22.

Fair enough; done.

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-28  6:54               ` William Xue
From: William Xue @ 2007-09-28  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> [...]
>> You can see the different between e:\sc_tmp_13.png and e:\sc_tmp_14.png.
>
> Yes, I can. It doesn't do that for me though.

I found the issue was cause by the setting for 'scroll-margin'.

I set 'scroll-margin' to 3, when input a char, the prompt scroll up 3
lines.

Can I set the 'scroll-margin' to 0 only for 'eshell'? I have tried
something on load hook, but failed.

--
Yours,
WilliamX

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-28 18:07                 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-28 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xue; +Cc: emacs-devel

"William Xue" wrote:

> Can I set the 'scroll-margin' to 0 only for 'eshell'? I have tried
> something on load hook, but failed.

(add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook
   (lambda () (set (make-local-variable 'scroll-margin) 0)))

* Re: ls in eshell will cause the prompt jumped to mid of buf
@ 2007-09-29  3:31                   ` William Xue
From: William Xue @ 2007-09-29  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:07:02 +0800, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> "William Xue" wrote:
>
>> Can I set the 'scroll-margin' to 0 only for 'eshell'? I have tried
>> something on load hook, but failed.
>
> (add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook
>    (lambda () (set (make-local-variable 'scroll-margin) 0)))

Eh, yes, make-local-variable.

Thank you very much!

--
Yours,