On 9/30/23 21:21, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 21:06:52 +0200 >> From: David Hedlund >> >> Do these two methods not work, or have some downside? If they do >> work, then we could perhaps _add_ an alternative solution, but I don't >> see why we should _replace_ the existing one(s). >> >> I agree that it should be added (not replaced). > OK. > >> Next, the alternative solution does have a drawback, albeit a minor >> one: it uses early-init.el, something that is explicitly NOT >> recommended for display-related customizations. It evidently works in >> this case, but advertising this in the FAQ flies in the face of our >> general recommendation not to do this kind of stuff there. > Specifically, the Emacs user manual says: > > We do not recommend that you move into ‘early-init.el’ customizations > that can be left in the normal init files. That is because the early > init file is read before the GUI is initialized, so customizations > related to GUI features will not work reliably in ‘early-init.el’. By > contrast, the normal init files are read after the GUI is initialized. > If you must have customizations in the early init file that rely on GUI > features, make them run off hooks provided by the Emacs startup, such as > ‘window-setup-hook’ or ‘tty-setup-hook’. *Note Hooks::. > > So I wonder whether we should advertise the suggested addition for > early-init file. Stefan, WDYT? > >> While we're speaking about this, this is a relevant question regarding the issue for GNU/Linux: So >> even "(push '(fullscreen . maximized) default-frame-alist)" to ~/.emacs.d/early-init.el is the only >> solution to automatically maximize emacs without the visually distracting effect in GNU/Linux, should >> it not be added to the FAQ to a new section, say >> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Fullscreen-mode-on-GNU-Linux.htm? >> Just "(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook 'toggle-frame-maximized)" to the top ~/.emacs file if it has a >> common size (say 100 lines), will cause it to maximize the windows but not without the visually >> distracting effect. > Is this indeed a "frequently-asked" question, about GNU/Linux? Yes. > If it > is, I'm okay with adding such a section, or even rewriting this > section (and renaming it) to make it not Windows-specific. But we do > not usually add here answers for questions just because they _could_ > be asked. Again, I'd like to hear Stefan's opinion on this. >