On Feb 15, 2008 4:47 PM, Nick Roberts wrote: > hi, all. sorry it's taken me a while to join this conversation. i > > adamantly want to see the pdbtrack functionality, which was integrated > > to python-mode.el, included in the python mode delivered with emacs. > > at one point it was integrated with the version of python.el that was > > supposed to be included with the release of emacs 22. i was perplexed > > and dismayed to discover, however, that somehow changed at the last > > moment, and it still hasn't been rectified. > > I never installed that patch because I was uncertain about the authorship > of the parts of python-mode.el that I was taking from. i believe that any changes to the code for pdb tracking functionality were trivial, and that my copyright assignment would be sufficient for that part of it. i can check with barry, who incorporated the stand-alone code i had written (as "pdbtrack.el") into python-mode.el > > it looks like the reason for the separate implementation of python.el > > had something to do with problems getting copyright assignments. i > > think that could be settled, and probably could help with that, but > > now we have two separate python mode implementations, and i don't know > > how to resolve the choice between them. > > > > in any case, i *do* want to see pdb tracking included in whichever. > > as the author of the feature, i should be able to authorize its use > > wherever, and am frustrated with the twisty turns of events that have > > prevented that. while my time is limited for reimplementing it, i can > > probably help with that and/or with seeing about getting license > > assignment for python-mode.el. > > I still have a local copy of the patch updated to the trunk and could > install > it now if instructed to do so. > > There appear to be two options: > > 1) Install my patch in python.el which may in reality only involve your > contribution to python-mode.el and may not require other signatures. > > 2) Replace python.el with a modified python-mode.el which would require > more signatures (Barry Warsaw, Skip Montanero?) and more work. it sounds like you have done some substantial comparison between the two implementations of python-mode, at least when you were working on the patches. can you characterize the differences between the two? i never tried python.el very far, because it lacked pdb tracking - but i've always been favorably impressed with python-mode.el, and would be expect it to offer a good basis to work from. i'm planning to contact barry and skip to see about copyright assignments - would that help? would you be willing to revisit your patches and bring them up to date, if clearance for python-mode.el became possible? > -- > Nick > http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob > -- ken http://myriadicity.net