From: "Ken Manheimer" <ken.manheimer@gmail.com>
Cc: Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de>, rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Documenting gpg-agent
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:11:17 -0500	[thread overview]

On 12/23/06, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> "Ken Manheimer" <ken.manheimer@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > my allout encryption provisions are badly disrupted with the new pgg
> > revision, when gpg-agent is active.
>
> [...]
>
> > i'll look at having allout do transient inhibition of the new
> > gpg-agent provisions (eg, let-binding pgg-gpg-use-agent to nil), but
> > doubt i'll have time to look at the new pgg code to see about
> > whether passed-in passphrases are disregarded.  so barring the
> > former workaround, i doubt i'll have time to look at proper
> > integration with the new pgg provisions before late january.
>
> I'd like to see Emacs 22 out before we have to update all copyright
> notices to 2007.  And I am afraid of a full month certain delay before
> the release.  It is bad enough having to fight last-minute changes;
> we'd argue ourselves to exhaustion about last-month changes.  "Why, we
> still have a full month for testing" is what I expect to hear then.
>
> So personally I'd really be glad if this could be resolved before your
> hiatus, leaving one less excuse to further delay.  That does not mean
> that other reasons for delay might not crop up, but at least there is
> a _chance_ that we'll get this beast out the door at one point of
> time.

i've (just) posted a patch that inhibits pgg's use of gpg-agent within
the scope of a let body where allout does the encryption.  i hope it's
applied soon, so i can verify the update while i have some time.

the posted patch is a minimal workaround, though.  i suspect something
closer to a fix would be to have pgg not resort to pgg-agent when
passphrases are passed in to it - that might be considered a bug in
the current pgg implementation.  that would also give me a path to
incrementally integrating gpg-agent functionality to allout's
encryption - that may never make sense for symmetric keys, but may be
fairly easy to do (without sacrificing current allout encryption
conveniences) for key pair encryption.
--
ken
http://myriadicity.net