From: Vivek Das Mohapatra <vivek@etla.org>
To: rms@gnu.org
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: New package for NonGNU ELPA : totp-auth
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 11:43:41 +0000	[thread overview]

On 07/02/2024 03:16, Richard Stallman wrote:
> This is a useful feature, but should it be implemented as a part of
> Emacs?  Is there / should there be a shell command for this?
>
> Given a shell command for this, do we want it implemented in Emacs
> too?

You could implement a shell command, but it would not interface
with emacs' auth sources (which includes support for the freedesktop
secrets API and PGP encrypted files).

Implementing this in emacs allows us (well, me) to re-use the easy
support for desktop notifications, auth sources and so forth that
emacs already provides.

Having said that - there's no reason you couldn't provide this as a
standalone command, and indeed there's an argument that a desktop
environment should provide such a feature or application: For me emacs
was the fastest route to implementing this feature and integrating it
into my desktop experience in a convenient-to-use way.