But the second one (which seems a reasonable fix) makes Emacs unable to display any non-western characters. - if ([fkeys count] > 0) - matchingDescs = [fdesc matchingFontDescriptorsWithMandatoryKeys: fkeys]; - else - matchingDescs = [NSMutableArray array]; + matchingDescs = [fdesc matchingFontDescriptorsWithMandatoryKeys: fkeys]; -- Best regards, Chris On Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Jan Djärv wrote: > Hello. > > 12 jan 2013 kl. 04:49 skrev Chris Zheng : > > > I suffered this problem too, and it's because of two bug fixes after I dig it awhile. > > > > bug#11484: 23.4; Scrolling leaves traces of old text behind > > > > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2012-05/msg00383.html > > > > LCD-smoothing was turned off to fix this bug, > > > > and > > > > bug#11541: - Another reproduction - Emacs 24.2; Null pointer on OSX with > > > > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2012-09/msg01293.html > > > > I simply revert these two fixes, and problem you mentioned is gone. > > > > So, maybe there are more deeper things around of these two bugs. > > Yes there are. The first one is due to the fact that the font code miscalculates the font metrics when lcd-smoothing is on. It may be related to some premature optimizations such as caching of font metrics in the font code. > > The second one is because the memory handling in the font code is incorrect and leads to crashes for some people (may depend on font and/or OS version and/or compiler version/settings). The second one does not happen when run in gdb. But when it does happen, as it does for me right now, Emacs crashes. > > Jan D.